Learning Optics, SR, and Continuum Mechanics for Physics Qual Exam

In summary, the individual is seeking book recommendations for self-studying optics, Special Relativity (SR), and continuum mechanics for a physics exam in June. Suggestions for optics include Hecht's Optics, Pedrotti's Introduction to Optics, and Fowles's Introduction to Modern Optics. For SR, the individual recommends the first edition of Spacetime Physics. The individual mentions that the department syllabus and sample problems are not helpful in preparing for the exam.
Euclid
I need to learn optics, SR and continuum mechanics for my physics qual exam in June. Can anyone suggest some books that would be appropriate for self study?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the optics portion, Hecht's Optics should contain material at an adequate level. Other books at a similar level include Pedrotti[tex]$^3$[/tex]'s Introduction to Optics, and Fowles's Introduction to Modern Optics. (Fowles might be a bit thin to use as your sole reference, but it's cheap, so it's worth picking up to supplement either Hecht or Pedrotti.) At a slightly more difficult level is Saleh & Teich's Fundamentals of Photonics, and at a much more difficult level is Born & Wolf's classic tome, Principles of Optics. (Born & Wolf is pretty much the standard reference for researchers in the field.)

Doesn't your department have a syllabus? It would be beyond sadistic just to tell you to "learn optics."

They do, but it's vague. And they provide sample problems, but they are really pathetic photocopies of photocopies of photocopies of problems that were used in the 40s (some are hand written). I think they try to make the exam extra hard by handing out useless study guides to confuse you.
I guess I am kidding, but it is kind of bad.

Related to Learning Optics, SR, and Continuum Mechanics for Physics Qual Exam

1. What is the best way to study for a physics qualifying exam that includes topics such as optics, special relativity, and continuum mechanics?

The best way to study for a physics qualifying exam is to create a study plan and stick to it. Start by reviewing the fundamental concepts and equations for each topic and then move on to practicing problems and reviewing past exams. It is also helpful to form a study group with other students to discuss and review the material together.

2. How important is it to understand the mathematics behind optics, special relativity, and continuum mechanics for a physics qualifying exam?

It is crucial to have a strong understanding of the mathematical concepts behind these topics. Many problems on the exam will require you to apply mathematical equations and principles to solve them. Therefore, it is important to not only memorize equations but also understand how and when to use them.

3. What are some common misconceptions or difficult concepts to understand in optics, special relativity, and continuum mechanics?

Some common misconceptions in these topics include understanding the wave-particle duality of light, the concept of time dilation in special relativity, and the stress-strain relationship in continuum mechanics. It is important to thoroughly review these concepts and seek help from professors or peers if needed.

4. How can I apply my knowledge of optics, special relativity, and continuum mechanics in real-world situations?

These topics have many practical applications in various fields such as engineering, astronomy, and telecommunications. For example, understanding the properties of light and its interactions with matter can help in the development of new technologies. Special relativity plays a crucial role in GPS systems, and continuum mechanics is essential in designing structures and understanding fluid flow.

5. Are there any online resources or textbooks that you recommend for studying optics, special relativity, and continuum mechanics?

There are many online resources and textbooks available for studying these topics. Some popular textbooks include "Introduction to Optics" by Frank L. Pedrotti and Leno M. Pedrotti, "Special Relativity" by A.P. French, and "Continuum Mechanics for Engineers" by G. Thomas Mase and George E. Mase. Online resources such as Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera also offer free courses and lectures on these topics.