Learning mathematics but need to know physics

In summary, the person is looking for a recommendation for a book that will help them understand Newtonian gravitation and mechanics, specifically with regards to concepts like energy and forces. They are also looking for examples and explanations of concepts like reference potentials and tidal potentials. They would prefer a book that does not require a lot of physical background knowledge. One potential recommendation is "French, Newtonian Mechanics," specifically an older printing.
MIB
I teach myself mathematics, but I want also to broaden my knowledge with some physics, which I think will enhance my intuition for different things in mathematics. The problem is that it seems I know nothing about physics. So I want you to recommend me which book(or books) must I read to develop my understanding of Newtonian gravitation and mechanics, where the book not only cover how to deal with forces and computing the resultant ... etc. I want a book which consider concepts like energy and forces and clarify the connection between them formally, and with some examples like the example of flood and ebb (which I read about but couldn't absorb its physics where it was using reference potentials and tidal potentials and things like that which I don't know very well how to deal with it will be good if there is good books clarifying such concepts formally and rigorous). It will be better if the books needs no much physical background.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Learning mathematics but need to know physics

1. How is mathematics used in physics?

Mathematics is the language of physics. It is used to describe and quantify physical phenomena, make predictions, and solve problems. Many concepts in physics, such as motion, energy, and forces, can be represented using mathematical equations. Therefore, a strong understanding of mathematics is essential for understanding and applying the principles of physics.

2. What are some key mathematical concepts needed for learning physics?

Some key mathematical concepts needed for learning physics include algebra, calculus, geometry, and trigonometry. These concepts are used to represent physical quantities, analyze motion and change, and solve equations related to force, energy, and other fundamental laws of physics.

3. How does learning physics help in understanding mathematics?

Studying physics can enhance one's understanding of mathematics by providing real-world applications and examples of mathematical concepts. It also requires students to think critically and logically, which can improve problem-solving skills that are applicable to both mathematics and physics.

4. What are some tips for learning mathematics for physics?

Practice is key when it comes to learning mathematics for physics. It is important to have a strong foundation in basic mathematical skills and concepts before moving on to more complex topics. It may also be helpful to visualize problems and equations, as well as seek out additional resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems.

5. How can I apply my knowledge of mathematics to solving physics problems?

One way to apply mathematics to solving physics problems is to identify the relevant equations and variables, and then use algebra and calculus to manipulate and solve for the unknown quantities. It is also important to understand the physical meaning behind the mathematical equations and how they relate to the problem at hand.