Learning materials for relativity

In summary, the speaker is interested in studying relativity after watching the movie Interstellar. They are looking for book recommendations and want to know if they should start with special or general relativity. The expert suggests learning calculus and basic physics before delving into special relativity, and recommends MIT's OCW and Halliday and Resnick's Fundamentals of Physics as resources. For general relativity, the expert suggests having a strong understanding of special relativity and being comfortable with calculus and linear algebra. They also mention the need to learn differential geometry.
Ibrahim Arafa
Hello scientists,

I'm interested in relativity, I have read a lot about Einstein's experiments and studies in simple language.

But after watching interstellar movie I want to study relativity carefully from A to Z.

So I want you to recommend me books to study and understand relativity, and tell me what to start with, special or general ? And what's the requirements to start studying relativity ?

Thanks and sorry for long words

Physics news on Phys.org
Special relativity will only really involve a little calculus, but if you haven't learned calculus, I recommend you start with that. I recommend MIT's OCW to learn calculus. There's no need to buy a book. You'll also need at least Newtonian physics, but also it wouldn't hurt to know some basic E&M. I used Halliday and Resnick's Fundamentals of Physics for my courses. As far as special relativity goes, any textbook on Modern physics would be good enough for a basic introduction (though that wouldn't cover relativistic electrodynamics). You may also want to look into the World Science U website for lessons in special relativity.

As for general relativity, you will need to be very comfortable with special relativity, and you'll also need to have a very good grasp on calculus and probably linear algebra. You'll need to learn differential geometry. I'm not qualified to comment on that.

Likes Ibrahim Arafa
Thanks a lot axmls

Related to Learning materials for relativity

1. What are the main learning materials for relativity?

The main learning materials for relativity include textbooks, online lectures and courses, simulation software, and scientific articles.

2. How can I effectively learn about relativity?

To effectively learn about relativity, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, specifically calculus and linear algebra. Additionally, it is helpful to use a combination of learning materials, such as textbooks and online resources, to gain a comprehensive understanding of the subject.

3. Are there any interactive learning materials for relativity?

Yes, there are many interactive learning materials available for relativity, such as simulation software and virtual labs. These tools allow for a more hands-on and visual learning experience.

4. Can I learn relativity without a background in physics?

While having a background in physics can be helpful, it is not necessary to learn about relativity. However, a strong understanding of mathematics is essential for comprehending the concepts of relativity.

5. Is it necessary to have access to expensive equipment to learn about relativity?

No, it is not necessary to have access to expensive equipment to learn about relativity. Many online resources and textbooks provide simulations and experiments that can be done without specialized equipment.