Learn the Night Sky: Star Placement & Familiarization

• Thread starter Leonidas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stars
In summary: I suggest you try www.starrynight.com. This website provides a star chart program that can be downloaded onto your computer.
Leonidas
Does anyone know a good web page for becoming familiar with the night sky... and where certain stars should be etc..?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You might try SkyGlobe. It is a planetarium type program that you can download onto your computer.

Just type Skyglobe into your search engine and several sites where you can get it will come up.

Web-based learning is OK if you're going to stay indoors, but you won't learn your way around the sky very quickly. The very best way to learn the sky is to go outside with a set of charts and compare what you see in the sky with what's on the pages. What you see in the sky will NOT correspond perfectly to the charts - the charts are only an approximation of what you will see.

You don't have to buy a great set of charts (like Wil Tirion's) right off. You can start with Peterson's Field Guide to the Stars and Planets. The charts are small (because the book is compact) but they are still very well-done. The book contains introductory information regarding most aspects of observational astronomy, and is a great jumping-off point for a beginner. I don't know what printing it's in now, but my edition is from the 1980's, and I still use it from time to time, despite having several sets of large charts. BTW, Tirion did the charts in my edition of Peterson's, and despite their small size, they are quite accurate and comprehensive, showing the locations of interesting double stars, nebulae, galaxies, quasars, etc. There are also "sky maps" shown with and without constellation guidelines, and with horizon lines for various latitudes, so you can orient yourself fairly quickly.

Here's a great book for beginners to learn the night sky..."365 Starry Nights" by Chet Raymo. It contains simple diagrams for things to look at all year long with brief & interesting explanations.

Welcome to Physics Forums and astronomy!

Related to Learn the Night Sky: Star Placement & Familiarization

1. What is "Learn the Night Sky: Star Placement & Familiarization"?

"Learn the Night Sky: Star Placement & Familiarization" is an educational program or workshop that teaches participants about the placement and identification of stars in the night sky. It is designed to help individuals become more familiar with the stars and constellations visible from their location.

2. Who can benefit from "Learn the Night Sky: Star Placement & Familiarization"?

This program is suitable for anyone who is interested in astronomy or wants to learn more about the night sky. It is also great for those who want to improve their stargazing skills, such as amateur astronomers, photographers, or outdoor enthusiasts.

3. What can I expect to learn from "Learn the Night Sky: Star Placement & Familiarization"?

Participants can expect to learn how to identify and locate different stars and constellations in the night sky. They will also learn about the different types of stars, their characteristics, and how they move across the sky throughout the night and throughout the year.

4. Do I need any prior knowledge or experience to attend "Learn the Night Sky: Star Placement & Familiarization"?

No, this program is designed for individuals of all levels of knowledge and experience. It is suitable for beginners who have little to no knowledge about the night sky and also for those who have some basic understanding of astronomy.

5. Will I need any special equipment for "Learn the Night Sky: Star Placement & Familiarization"?

No, this program does not require any special equipment. However, it is recommended to bring a notebook and pen to take notes and a flashlight with a red filter to help preserve night vision. A star chart or a stargazing app may also be useful.