Learn Programming for Graphics Design & Engineering

In summary, you should learn Java or Python first, and then decide on a language to learn for graphics design and engineering.
Tjl
I am going to major in Graphics Design, and Engineering, but I feel I must first learn a programming language. I had my try at Python, but became side-tracked with school. Do you have any recommendations for a good language to learn. I understand programming semantics and syntax pretty well, so nothing to basic here.

Computer science news on Phys.org
If your going to be doing graphics design and engineering, you might as well pick a language that you can use for both, and Perl (http://www.perl.com/) is perfect for this. It is useful for graphics design because you can write scripts for the Gimp (http://www.gimp.org/). It is also can be useful for engineering because you can quickly type up a simulation program to solve problems without compiling.

Other languages that are good:

C/C++
Java
Ruby (http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/)
Python (http://www.python.org/)

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing you should also do is find out what languages the university's engineering department uses.

Mine uses Matlab almost exclusively. I've been trying to switch my own projects over to Mathematica recently, but collaboration is a pain in the butt because no one else in my major uses it. Export data to text file->import data from text file...

All right then, btw do you know what language Drexel uses? Or what other universities have good computer science courses? I was planning on drexel but if i find a better...

The choice of which language to learn first is largely moot.

All languages share a lot of features: variables, if and while statements, and so on. While the syntax can be quite different from language to language, the major concepts are all the same.

If you learn Java first, you can pick up Python relatively easily. If you learn Python first, you can pick up Java relatively easily.

Perl, while very useful in some situations, is an oddball language. If you learn it first, you might find yourself concentrating on structures that are NOT common to other programming languages. My suggestion is to save Perl for later, and learn either Python or Java first.

Also, if you'd like to be able to put graphical user interfaces on your programs -- rather than just interacting with them through a text console -- Perl may not be the language for you.

- Warren

java and perl are good choises.

Above recommendations all seem good. So I must add another one.

At my university, we learn a functional language called, "Haskell". Its a 4th generation language which utilses inbuilt functions. We only use Haskell to teach first year students (programming courses, cse). This allows them to utilise the efficiency in computer programs. Have you ever heard of a "complexity of calculations" in a program? It is basically a way of reducing program's fetching speed (time) when dealing with sufficiently large amounts of data.

But of course, GUI aspect of this language is a major con. But, good enough to have you practising on how to reduce program's complexity.

Related to Learn Programming for Graphics Design & Engineering

1. What is "Learn Programming for Graphics Design & Engineering"?

"Learn Programming for Graphics Design & Engineering" is an online course that teaches individuals how to use programming languages to create graphics and designs, as well as apply engineering concepts to their projects. It is designed for those with a background in graphics design or engineering who want to enhance their skills and broaden their career opportunities.

2. Who is this course intended for?

This course is intended for individuals with a background in graphics design or engineering who have a basic understanding of programming concepts. It is also suitable for anyone interested in learning how to use programming for graphics design and engineering purposes.

3. What programming languages are covered in this course?

This course covers a variety of programming languages commonly used in graphics design and engineering, such as Python, JavaScript, and C++. These languages are versatile and widely used in the industry, providing learners with a strong foundation for their projects.

4. What skills will I gain from this course?

By completing this course, you will gain a solid understanding of programming languages and how they can be applied to graphics design and engineering. You will also learn how to create visualizations, animations, simulations, and other graphics using programming. Additionally, you will develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills that are essential in both graphics design and engineering fields.

5. What kind of projects can I expect to work on in this course?

This course will provide you with hands-on experience through various projects that involve using programming for graphics design and engineering. These projects may include creating 2D/3D graphics, developing interactive websites, designing user interfaces, and more. By the end of the course, you will have a portfolio of projects that demonstrate your skills and knowledge in this field.