Lead Dioxide Anode: Why Not Use Lead Strip?

In summary, using bare lead was the original method of making batteries, but plating with oxide is a newer way that may be more efficient. The challenge is to find a way to generate lead dioxide that will not flake off during use, and there are some recipes and patents available for this process.
RayRoc
I usually plate lead dioxide on carbon to form my anodes, however, I was wondering if anyone knew why one can't use a lead strip and let electrolysis oxidize the surface to lead dioxide? It is too simple for it not to be used already. But I did make a set of lead acid batteries by just using the lead strips with no lead dioxide and it worked fine. I was wondering if anyone had some insight on the subject.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I believe using bare lead was the original method of making batteries, plating with oxide is relatively new way of making batteries that are already charged even before they are filled with acid.

The problem is much less one of generating PbO2, but generating it in a way
that makes it sufficiently hardy to not deteriorate (i.e. flake off) during use as
an anode, possibly with high current densities, thermal gradients etc. etc.

You can find some patents and recipes by googling.

Ray

Related to Lead Dioxide Anode: Why Not Use Lead Strip?

1. Why is lead dioxide anode preferred over lead strip as an electrode material?

Lead dioxide anode is preferred over lead strip because it has a higher oxygen overpotential, which allows for a higher efficiency in the oxygen evolution reaction. This means that less energy is required to produce oxygen at the anode, making it more cost-effective and environmentally friendly.

2. What makes lead dioxide anode more durable than lead strip?

Lead dioxide anode is more durable than lead strip because it has a higher resistance to corrosion. This is due to the formation of a passivating layer on the surface of the anode, which protects it from further corrosion. In comparison, lead strip is more prone to corrosion in the harsh conditions of an electrochemical cell.

3. Can lead dioxide anode be used in all types of electrochemical cells?

No, lead dioxide anode is not suitable for all types of electrochemical cells. It is primarily used in cells that require the production of oxygen at the anode, such as in the production of chlorine gas or in the purification of water. In other types of cells, different electrode materials may be more suitable.

4. Are there any potential health or environmental concerns with using lead dioxide anode?

While lead dioxide anode is generally considered safe for use in electrochemical cells, there are some potential health and environmental concerns. Lead is a toxic metal, and if not handled properly, it can pose a risk to human health and the environment. However, proper handling and disposal procedures can minimize these risks.

5. Is lead dioxide anode more expensive than lead strip?

Yes, lead dioxide anode is typically more expensive than lead strip. This is due to the additional processing and materials required to produce the anode. However, the higher efficiency and durability of lead dioxide anode can offset this cost in the long run, making it a more cost-effective option for certain applications.