Lead compensator for double integrator

In summary, the lead compensator is designed to have a pole located at -19.3492 - 4.4 = 23.75. When closedLoop is checked, it is found that the desired pole location is not reached.
zoom1
I'm trying to design a lead compensator for a double integrator plant, which is plant = tf([1],[1 0 0])

I started with the angle condition. So, poles contribute (+) angle and zeros contribute (-) angle and that sums to 180

Desired pole location is 4.4 +- 4.4j

So, 45 + 45 = 90 degrees comes from the poles at the origin, assume that zero of the lead compensator is placed at -5, then atand(4.4/1) = 77.19 contribution from zero of the lead compensator.

45 + 45 - 77.19 + Lp = 180

Where Lp is the pole of the lead compensator. Lp should contribute +167.19 degrees, so tand(167.19) = -0.2274

At this point I wouldn't expect to get a negative number. Anyways, I proceeded and found the location of the Lp as 4.4/0.2274 = 19.3492, so Lp should be located at -19.3492 - 4.4 = 23.75

So the resulting Lead compensator is lead = tf([1 5],[1 23.75])

When I close the loop with unity feedback closedLoop = feedback(plant*lead,1) and check the gain with sisotool(closedLoop), I see that my desired pole location is not reached. at -4.4 I got -+6.84i

What am I doing wrong ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
zoom1 said:
I started with the angle condition. So, poles contribute (+) angle and zeros contribute (-) angle and that sums to 180
It sums to ##r180^\circ,r = \pm1,\pm3,\pm5,\dots## if the test point is on the root locus.

zoom1 said:
Desired pole location is 4.4 +- 4.4j
Should be ##s = -4.4 \pm j4.4##?

zoom1 said:
So, 45 + 45 = 90 degrees comes from the poles at the origin, assume that zero of the lead compensator is placed at -5, then atand(4.4/1) = 77.19 contribution from zero of the lead compensator.
##\arg(s) = \pm135^\circ##, and ##\arg(s - z) \approx \pm82.2^\circ,z = -5##.

If ##s = -4.4 + j4.4##, then the angle sum is ##135^\circ + 135^\circ - 82.2^\circ = 187.8^\circ##. You want to remove those ##7.8^\circ##, but that's not possible with a single pole (it adds to the angle sum).

The problem is your zero. You want it to subtract more than ##90^\circ##, so the angle sum dips below ##180^\circ##, and the pole makes up the difference, i.e. you should have ##z > -4.4##.

milesyoung said:
It sums to ##r180^\circ,r = \pm1,\pm3,\pm5,\dots## if the test point is on the root locus.Should be ##s = -4.4 \pm j4.4##?##\arg(s) = \pm135^\circ##, and ##\arg(s - z) \approx \pm82.2^\circ,z = -5##.

If ##s = -4.4 + j4.4##, then the angle sum is ##135^\circ + 135^\circ - 82.2^\circ = 187.8^\circ##. You want to remove those ##7.8^\circ##, but that's not possible with a single pole (it adds to the angle sum).

The problem is your zero. You want it to subtract more than ##90^\circ##, so the angle sum dips below ##180^\circ##, and the pole makes up the difference, i.e. you should have ##z > -4.4##.

Thank you so much. I was sure that I was missing something.

Related to Lead compensator for double integrator

1. What is a lead compensator for a double integrator?

A lead compensator is a type of controller used in control systems to improve the performance of a double integrator, which is a mathematical model used to represent a system with two integrators in series. The lead compensator adds a pole and a zero to the open-loop transfer function of the system, which helps to increase the stability and speed of the system's response.

2. How does a lead compensator work?

A lead compensator introduces a zero at a frequency higher than the pole, which shifts the phase margin and increases the system's overall gain. This results in a faster response and better stability. The lead compensator also adds a pole at a frequency between the original pole and zero, which further improves the stability and helps to reduce overshoot and oscillations in the system's response.

3. What are the advantages of using a lead compensator for a double integrator?

The main advantage of using a lead compensator is that it improves the stability and speed of the system's response. This is especially useful in control systems where a fast and stable response is desired. Additionally, a lead compensator can help to reduce overshoot and oscillations, which can improve the overall performance and accuracy of the system.

4. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a lead compensator?

While a lead compensator can improve the performance of a double integrator, it is not suitable for all systems. In some cases, it may not provide enough improvement in stability or speed, and other types of compensators may be more effective. Additionally, the design and tuning of a lead compensator can be complex and may require advanced mathematical techniques.

5. How do you design and tune a lead compensator for a double integrator?

The design and tuning of a lead compensator can be done using various methods, including root locus, frequency response, and pole placement techniques. These methods involve analyzing the system's transfer function and determining the appropriate values for the compensator's pole and zero. The process can be complex and may require the use of specialized software or mathematical tools.