LCT Limit Comparison Test for Improper Integrals

In summary, the Limit Comparison Test for Improper Integrals states that if the limit of the ratio of two functions, f(x) and g(x), approaches 1 as x approaches a, then f(x) is asymptotic to g(x) as x approaches a. This is equivalent to saying that the limit of f(x)/g(x) is 1. When considering the relationship between sin(x) and x, it is important to note that while sin(x)/x may not equal 1, the limit of sin(x)/x does equal 1 as x approaches 0. Therefore, we can conclude that sin(x) is asymptotic to x as x approaches 0. This is because the graphs of sin(x) and
Lebombo
Learning about the Limit Comparison Test for Improper Integrals. I haven't gotten to any applications or actual problems yet. Just learning the theory so far, and have a question on the very beginning of it.

Homework Statement

f(x) ~ g(x) as x→a, then [itex]\frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = 1[/itex]
(that is, f(x) is asymptotic to g(x) as x→a, then [itex]\frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = 1[/itex])

so,

sin(x) ~ x as x→0, because of the fact [itex]\frac{sin(x)}{x}=1[/itex]

Homework Equations

My question here is what order are the assumptions or logic being made?

Is the idea to say (A):
"Well, since we know the limit [itex]\frac{sin(x)}{x}=1[/itex], then we can conclude sin(x)~x"

or is the idea to say (B):
"Well, since we know sin(x)~x as x→0, then we can conclude the limit [itex]\frac{sin(x)}{x}=1[/itex]"

The Attempt at a Solution

The reason it doesn't make sense is because if x→0, then sin(x)=1 and x=0. So it is not possible to say [itex]\frac{1}{0}=1[/itex]

Yet, if we first prove that [itex]\frac{sin(x)}{x}=1[/itex], then we can say that sin(x)~x.

I am having trouble reconciling the fact that sin(x) is said to "behave" like x as x→0 while f(0) = sin(0) is a completely different number than g(0)= x.

When you look at f(x) and g(x) separately first, it seems it can't be concluded that f(x)~g(x), but when we look first at [itex]\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}[/itex], then since their ratio is 1, we can conclude that f(x)~g(x), even though they are completely different functions when the numerator and denominator are evaluated separately.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lebombo said:
Learning about the Limit Comparison Test for Improper Integrals. I haven't gotten to any applications or actual problems yet. Just learning the theory so far, and have a question on the very beginning of it.

Homework Statement

f(x) ~ g(x) as x→a, then [itex]\frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = 1[/itex]
(that is, f(x) is asymptotic to g(x) as x→a, then [itex]\frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = 1[/itex])
No, ##\lim_{x \to a} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = 1##
The operative concept there is that the limit is 1. It does not say that f(x)/g(x) = 1.
Lebombo said:
so,

sin(x) ~ x as x→0, because of the fact [itex]\frac{sin(x)}{x}=1[/itex]
sin(x)/x ≠ 1, but ##\lim_{x \to 0} \frac{sin(x)}{x} = 1##
Lebombo said:

Homework Equations

My question here is what order are the assumptions or logic being made?

Is the idea to say (A):
"Well, since we know the limit [itex]\frac{sin(x)}{x}=1[/itex], then we can conclude sin(x)~x"

or is the idea to say (B):
"Well, since we know sin(x)~x as x→0, then we can conclude the limit [itex]\frac{sin(x)}{x}=1[/itex]"
I would say the latter.
Lebombo said:

The Attempt at a Solution

The reason it doesn't make sense is because if x→0, then sin(x)=1 and x=0.
No. sin(0) = 0.
Lebombo said:
So it is not possible to say [itex]\frac{1}{0}=1[/itex]

Yet, if we first prove that [itex]\frac{sin(x)}{x}=1[/itex], then we can say that sin(x)~x.

I am having trouble reconciling the fact that sin(x) is said to "behave" like x as x→0 while f(0) = sin(0) is a completely different number than g(0)= x.
sin(0) = 0

If you look at the graphs of y = sin(x) and y = x close to x = 0, both graphs nearly coincide.
Lebombo said:
When you look at f(x) and g(x) separately first, it seems it can't be concluded that f(x)~g(x), but when we look first at [itex]\frac{f(x)}{g(x)}[/itex], then since their ratio is 1, we can conclude that f(x)~g(x), even though they are completely different functions when the numerator and denominator are evaluated separately.

Oh wow, its been so long since looking at trig or calculus that I was treating the x variable in sin(x) as an x-axis point on the Cartesian instead of the angle. When the "x" or adjacent side of the triangle is 0 on the unit circle, then the ratio of opposite/hypotenuse is of course 1. That was the mistake I made in the latter part of the post.

As for the beginning of the post, thank you for also correcting the theorem. I'm trying to learn it from a video of a university lecture and for many parts of the video, the camera man seems to scan past what the professor is writing on the board, so it takes a lot of rewind and replay to see and absorb it all.

Best Regards,
Lebombo

Last edited:

Related to LCT Limit Comparison Test for Improper Integrals

1. What is the LCT Limit Comparison Test for Improper Integrals?

The LCT Limit Comparison Test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of improper integrals. It compares the behavior of a given integral to that of a known integral, allowing us to make conclusions about its convergence.

2. How does the LCT Limit Comparison Test work?

The LCT Limit Comparison Test works by comparing the given integral to a known integral, typically one that is easier to evaluate. If the known integral converges, then the given integral also converges. If the known integral diverges, then the given integral also diverges.

3. When should the LCT Limit Comparison Test be used?

The LCT Limit Comparison Test should be used when the integral being evaluated is difficult to solve directly, but has a similar form to a known integral that can be evaluated easily.

4. What are the limitations of the LCT Limit Comparison Test?

The LCT Limit Comparison Test can only be used for improper integrals that have non-negative integrands. It also cannot be used if the known integral is not a proper integral itself.

5. Can the LCT Limit Comparison Test be used for series?

No, the LCT Limit Comparison Test can only be used for improper integrals. To determine the convergence or divergence of series, other tests such as the Ratio Test or the Comparison Test should be used.