LC circuit model of hydrogen atom

In summary, the LC circuit model of a hydrogen atom is a simplified representation of the atom's electronic structure, where the nucleus is treated as a positively charged capacitor and the electron is modeled as a negatively charged inductor. This model helps to explain the stability and energy levels of the hydrogen atom, as well as its emission and absorption of electromagnetic radiation. It also serves as a useful tool for understanding more complex systems, such as multi-electron atoms and molecules. The LC circuit model provides a simplified but accurate understanding of the behavior of the hydrogen atom and has been a significant contribution to the field of quantum mechanics.
nuby
I thought these were weird similarities between macroscopic electronic circuits and (Bohr) hydrogen model. What do you guys think?

hydrogen self-capacitance (energy level "capacitance")
C = 4*pi*eo*br = 5.88798e-21 Farads

eo = vacuum permitivity
br = Bohr Radius
m = electron mass
e = elementary charge
w = angular frequency
f = frequency (Hz)

hydrogen "inductance" (at ground state):
L = ((br^2) * m) / (e^2) = 9.93734e-14 HenriesOrbital (LC resonant) frequency of ground state electron:
w = sqrt(1/LC) = 4.134e16 rads/sec

Orbital frequency in Hz
f = 4.134e16 / (2*pi) = 6.57e15 Hz

Orbital Frequency of Hydrogen:
v / (2*pi*br) = 6.57e15 Hz

v = 2.187e6 (m/s)

Here's something else I found interesting. On the macroscopic level step up/down transformers convert current to voltage and vice versa. Viewing current as mass only (electrons), and voltage as the velocity of the electrons (or force moving electrons), the energy level transitions can resemble step-up, and step-down "transformers". I.e electron velocity decreases, and mass increases from n=1 to n=3.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
can (macro) electronic circuit mechanisms occur without the same effects happening (collectively) at the atomic level?

I don't see why you felt compelled to start a new thread when https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=276515" already exists.

As I pointed out to you there - multiple times - these relationships that you are "discovering" are merely consequences of algebra. You put the Rydberg constant in, do some algebraic manipulations, and get it back out again.

Are you just going to keep posting this over and over?

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted a different perspective (outside of the box), so I posted this to the philosophy forum. I'm not sure how it got to General.

Last edited:
Probably because of the physics.

nuby said:
I wanted a different perspective (outside of the box), so I posted this to the philosophy forum. I'm not sure how it got to General.

Since you obviously no longer need it, the other thread is now closed.

Zz.

how do you derive this? what formula for capacitance is it based on?

edit:nevermind. I found it:
the self-capacitance of a conducting sphere of radius R is given by:
475a2bf45fb1f54544ffcf38abc3610f.png

heres a formula for a spherical capacitor:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/electric/capsph.html

csph4.gif

the equation for the energy levels of a hydrogen like atom is of course:
e1fff0de782fe5dfb583088b40a82165.png

making the spectrum equal:
http://mooni.fccj.org/~ethall/rydberg/rydeq.gif

Here's something I found interesting regarding to the "orbital frequency" . The LC resonant frequency from above, seems to be the same as the circular frequency of the electron's "trembling motion" (wiki: Zitterbewegung), if you use the mass-energy of the ground state electron (13.605 eV / 2.425e-35 kg)

2mc^2 / hbar

(2 * 2.425e-35 kg * c^2)/hbar = 4.134e16 rad/sec

Nuby, I am trying to be polite, but these messages of yours are bordering on crackpottery.

Like I keep saying - and you keep blowing me off - these numerical features you find are simply algebraic rearrangements of a single constant. You put the Rydberg in, you get the Rydberg out.

never heard of that before. thanks :-)

http://modelingnts.la.asu.edu/pdf/ZBW_I_QM.pdf

David Hestenes
Abstract. The zitterbewegung is a local circulatory motion of the electron presumed to be the basis of the electron spin and magnetic moment. A reformulation of the Dirac theory shows that the zitterbewegung need not be attributed to interference between positive and negative energy states as originally proposed by Schroedinger. Rather, it provides a physical interpretation for the complex phase factor in the Dirac wave function generally. Moreover, it extends to a coherent physical interpretation of the entire Dirac theory, and it implies a zitterbewegung interpretation for the Schroedinger theory as well.
1. INTRODUCTION
The idea that the electron spin and magnetic moment are generated by a localized circulatory motion of the electron has been proposed independently by many physicists.
Schroedinger’s zitterbewegung (zbw) model for such motion is especially noteworthy, because it is grounded in an analysis of solutions to the Dirac equation.(1,2,3) Surely, if the zbw is a real physical phenomena, then it tells us something fundamental about the nature of the electron. However, the role ascribed to the zbw in standard formulations of quantum mechanics has been metaphorical at best.

... I shall show that the complex phase factor in the electron wave function can be associated directly with the zbw. I call this the zbw interpretation of quantum mechanics.
...A simple change in the definition (i.e., interpretation) of the electron velocity implies that all components of the electron wave function (including its phase) directly describe kinematical features of electron motion.

Vanadium 50 said:
Nuby, I am trying to be polite, but these messages of yours are bordering on crackpottery.

Like I keep saying - and you keep blowing me off - these numerical features you find are simply algebraic rearrangements of a single constant. You put the Rydberg in, you get the Rydberg out.

Why does it matter how the pieces come together if the solution makes sense? Please explain why you think this "frequency" is insignificant.

before the moderators close this thread would you please show me what formula you used to calculate:

I've looked an wikipedia but can't find anything

http://modelingnts.la.asu.edu/pdf/Spin&uncert.pdf

[6] Spin and uncertainty in the interpretation of quantum mechanics

Abstract: A rigorous derivation of the Schroedinger theory from the Pauli (or Dirac) theory implies that the Schroedinger equation describes an electron in an eigenstate of spin. Furthermore, the ground-state kinetic energy is completely determined by the electron spin density. This can be explained by interpreting the spin as an orbital angular momentum, which is necessarily accompanied by a kinetic energy. Thus, the spin is a zero-point angular momentum associated with the zero-point energy of the electron

http://modelingnts.la.asu.edu/pdf/MysteriesofDirac.pdf

d--n it. I meant to ask what formula you used to calculate this:
L = ((br^2) * m) / (e^2) = 9.93734e-14 Henries

granpa said:
before the moderators close this thread

I'm glad everyone agrees this should be closed.

V50, are you going to answer my question? Or just leave snide remarks?

for now, I think we should limit the discussion to this:

if capacitance is energy/charge then I guess that inductance is energy/current.
what does the m in your equation stand for? surely not mass.

nuby said:
V50, are you going to answer my question? Or just leave snide remarks?

I've answered this question nine times already, on two different threads. Would a tenth make any difference?

granpa said:
for now, I think we should limit the discussion to this:

if capacitance is energy/charge then I guess that inductance is energy/current.
what does the m in your equation stand for? surely not mass.

"m" is the rest mass of an electron,
"br" is the bohr radius, and "e" is elementary charge. I'm still not sure if that equation is correct, but nobody has called it invalid yet..

well inductance doesn't involve mass. that would be moment of inertia.

Well, can you have inductance without electrons?

since we are discussing math coincidences I thought I would add this.

if the charge of the electron is thought of as being a sphere of constant charge density then the frequency at which it would oscillate around a proton is by my calculations (which should always be checked)
2.485*10^15/sqrt(r^3)
where r is, of course, the radius of the charge cloud

its not exact but its very close to the Rydberg frequency of 3.2898*10^15 hz

This pointless thread has gone long enough and degenerated into the ridiculous. It is now done.

Zz.

Related to LC circuit model of hydrogen atom

1. What is the LC circuit model of hydrogen atom?

The LC circuit model of hydrogen atom is a simplified representation of the atom, where the nucleus is considered as a positive charge surrounded by a cloud of negative charge. The negative charge is assumed to be in constant motion around the nucleus, creating a tiny electrical circuit known as an LC (inductance-capacitance) circuit.

2. How does the LC circuit model explain the stability of the hydrogen atom?

The LC circuit model suggests that the continuous motion of the negative charge around the nucleus creates a magnetic field, which interacts with the electric field of the positive nucleus. This interaction results in a force that keeps the negative charge in orbit, thus explaining the stability of the hydrogen atom.

3. Does the LC circuit model accurately represent the hydrogen atom?

No, the LC circuit model is a simplified representation of the hydrogen atom and does not reflect the true complexity of the atom. It neglects the quantum nature of the electron's motion and does not take into account the effects of relativity.

4. What are the limitations of the LC circuit model of the hydrogen atom?

The LC circuit model does not accurately predict the energy levels of the hydrogen atom, as it assumes a continuous spectrum of energy. It also does not account for the spin of the electron and the effects of the magnetic field. Furthermore, it cannot be applied to atoms with more than one electron.

5. How does the LC circuit model relate to other models of the hydrogen atom?

The LC circuit model is one of the earliest attempts to explain the structure of the hydrogen atom. It is a classical model and is superseded by more accurate quantum mechanical models, such as the Bohr model and the Schrödinger equation. However, the LC circuit model is still used as a teaching tool to introduce students to the concept of atomic structure and the role of electrons in atoms.