Law Of Conservation Of Momentum Help

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two flywheels connected by a clutch and calculates the common speed of rotation and loss in kinetic energy. The law of conservation of momentum is used in the calculation, specifically the equation I1W1 + I2W2 = I3W3. If the law of conservation were not true, the calculations would lead to incorrect values and the world would not function as expected.
StevenBennett

Homework Statement

A flywheel and shaft have a moment of inertia of 600kg and is rotating at 5 rev/s. Another flywheel and shaft, on the same axis, is suddenly connected by means of a clutch. If this flywheel and shaft has a moment of inertia of 620kg and is initially at rest, calculate:

a) The common speed of rotation after the two are connected

b) The loss in kinetic energy

Answer is attached in document...

But i need to describe the law of conservation of momentum and showing where it is used in this calculation and i need to describe what would the consequence for my calculations were the law of conservation not to be true...

Its for a practice exam paper and i seriously need some help? thanks!

Attachments

• Task 3b - Pass Only.docx
    17 KB · Views: 232
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
StevenBennett said:

Homework Statement

A flywheel and shaft have a moment of inertia of 600kg and is rotating at 5 rev/s. Another flywheel and shaft, on the same axis, is suddenly connected by means of a clutch. If this flywheel and shaft has a moment of inertia of 620kg and is initially at rest, calculate:

a) The common speed of rotation after the two are connected

b) The loss in kinetic energy

Answer is attached in document...

But i need to describe the law of conservation of momentum and showing where it is used in this calculation and i need to describe what would the consequence for my calculations were the law of conservation not to be true...

Its for a practice exam paper and i seriously need some help? thanks!

Welcome to the PF.

First, there are typos in the units of Moment of Inertia (MOI) where you typed the problem in above. I've bolded the typos -- you can see what is missing by comparing to your attachment.

Second, the attachment does a good job of working through the problem to get to the solutions. Is there some part that you don't understand? What is the definition of the angular momentum of a object in terms of its MOI and it's angular frequency? :smile:

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

First, there are typos in the units of Moment of Inertia (MOI) where you typed the problem in above. I've bolded the typos -- you can see what is missing by comparing to your attachment.

Second, the attachment does a good job of working through the problem to get to the solutions. Is there some part that you don't understand? What is the definition of the angular momentum of a object in terms of its MOI and it's angular frequency? :smile:
Heyy yeah i couldn't work out how to square the Kg,

im just trying to work this out:

describe the law of conservation of momentum and showing where it is used in this calculation?

and

to describe what would the consequence for my calculations were the law of conservation not to be true?

But thanks for replying

StevenBennett said:
Heyy yeah i couldn't work out how to square the Kg,

im just trying to work this out:

describe the law of conservation of momentum and showing where it is used in this calculation?

and

to describe what would the consequence for my calculations were the law of conservation not to be true?

But thanks for replying

There is an explicit step in that solution where conservation of angular momentum is used. That's why I asked you what the equation is for the angular momentum of a spinning object... :smile:

berkeman said:
There is an explicit step in that solution where conservation of angular momentum is used. That's why I asked you what the equation is for the angular momentum of a spinning object... :smile:
The angular moment of a spinning object in this solution is I1W1 + I2W2 = I3W3?

StevenBennett said:
The angular moment of a spinning object in this solution is I1W1 + I2W2 = I3W3?

Correct. That line is using the law of conservation of angular momentum. That is how this problem is solved, since kinetic energy is not conserved in this type of collision/rotation-clamping situation. :smile:

berkeman said:
Correct. That line is using the law of conservation of angular momentum. That is how this problem is solved, since kinetic energy is not conserved in this type of collision/rotation-clamping situation. :smile:

So what would be the problem if my calculations were the law of conservation not to be true?

Would i just receive a incorrect value?

StevenBennett said:
So what would be the problem if my calculations were the law of conservation not to be true?

Would i just receive a incorrect value?

Beats me. That's kind of a weird question. The world wouldn't work anymore... :woot:

Yeah that's what's i thought, but cheers for the insight helps a lot!

Related to Law Of Conservation Of Momentum Help

1. What is the Law of Conservation of Momentum?

The Law of Conservation of Momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction.

2. How is momentum defined?

Momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

3. What is an example of the Law of Conservation of Momentum in everyday life?

An example of the Law of Conservation of Momentum in everyday life is when a person jumps off a moving boat onto a dock. The boat will move in the opposite direction with the same momentum as the person, in order to conserve the total momentum of the system.

4. How does the Law of Conservation of Momentum relate to Newton's Third Law of Motion?

The Law of Conservation of Momentum and Newton's Third Law of Motion are closely related. Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In terms of momentum, this means that the change in momentum of one object is equal and opposite to the change in momentum of the other object.

5. Can the Law of Conservation of Momentum be violated?

No, the Law of Conservation of Momentum is a fundamental principle in physics and has been proven to hold true in all observed interactions. However, it may appear to be violated in certain situations due to external forces, such as friction, acting on the system.