Laurent Series Expansion of \frac{1}{e^z - 1}

In summary: When a function blows up at a particular point, the Laurent series for that point is just the Taylor series about that point. In this case, the Laurent series is just: $$\displaystyle\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}\left[\left(\oint_{A}\frac{dz}{2\pi i(e^z-1)(z-a)^{n+1}}\right)\left(z-a)^n\right].$$
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Determine the Laurent series expansion of

[tex]\frac{1}{e^z - 1}[/tex]

The attempt at a solution

I've spotted that

[tex]\frac{1}{e^z - 1} = \frac{1}{2}\left( \coth{\frac{z}{2}} - 1\right)[/tex]

but I don't know what to do next. WolframAlpha gives the series centred at 0 as:

[tex]\frac{1}{z} -\frac{1}{2} + \frac{z}{12} - \frac{z^3}{720} + \frac{z^5}{30240} + ...[/tex]

but I don't know how they arrived at this. How are they evaluating f(0), f'(0), etc.? I'm getting an undefined answer for f(0) and f'(0) too.

I'm defining f(z) as

[tex]f(z) = \frac{1}{2}\left( \coth\frac{z}{2} - 1 \right)[/tex]

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did the question specify where to center the Laurent series?

At a point a, the Laurent series around a for your function is given by ##\displaystyle \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}\left[\oint_{A}\frac{dz}{2\pi i(e^z-1)(z-a)^{n+1}}(z-a)^n\right]##, where A is a contour centered at a.

Mandelbroth said:
Did the question specify where to center the Laurent series?

At a point a, the Laurent series around a for your function is given by ##\displaystyle \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}\left[\oint_{A}\frac{dz}{2\pi i(e^z-1)(z-a)^{n+1}}(z-a)^n\right]##, where A is a contour centered at a.

No, it didn't specify -- although the answer given gives the Laurent series centred at z = 0.

Where did you get that from?

I simplified that down to

##\displaystyle \frac{1}{2 \pi i}\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}\left[\oint_{A}\frac{dz}{z(e^z-1)}\right]##

when a = 0. What do I do from here?

I think you need to do long division and equate coefficients. We know it has a simple pole at the origin so we can write:

[tex]\frac{1}{z+z^2/2+z^3/3!+\cdots}=\frac{d_0}{z}+d_1+d_2z+\cdots[/tex]

or:

[tex]-1+d_0+d_1z+d_2 z^2+\cdots+z d_0/2+\cdots+d_0/3! z^2+\cdots=0[/tex]

and so forth. Now equate coefficients.

jackmell said:
I think you need to do long division and equate coefficients. We know it has a simple pole at the origin so we can write:

[tex]\frac{1}{z+z^2/2+z^3/3!+\cdots}=\frac{d_0}{z}+d_1+d_2z+\cdots[/tex]

or:

[tex]-1+d_0+d_1z+d_2 z^2+\cdots+z d_0/2+\cdots+d_0/3! z^2+\cdots=0[/tex]

and so forth. Now equate coefficients.

Or factor the z out the denominator of your first expression getting it in the form ##\frac{1}{z(1+f(z))}## and use the taylor series expansion ##\frac{1}{1+f(z)}=1-f(z)+f(z)^2-f(z)^3...##. Only keep the powers of z up to the highest power you need.

FeDeX_LaTeX said:
How are they evaluating f(0), f'(0), etc.? I'm getting an undefined answer for f(0) and f'(0) too.
They're not evaluating f(0), f'(0), … because f(z) is singular at z=0. If the function didn't blow up at the origin, then the series for f(z) is just its Taylor series about ##z=0##, and you find it the usual way. But as you saw, you're running into problems because f(z) blows up at z=0. In cases like these, you need to find the Laurent series.

So the fact that this problem asked you to find the Laurent series suggests you're looking for where the function blows up, which in this case is z=0, so you want to expand the function about z=0.

Personally, I think Dick's suggestion is the most straightforward way to find the series. I prefer to avoid long division when possible.

FeDeX_LaTeX said:
I simplified that down to

##\displaystyle \frac{1}{2 \pi i}\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}\left[\oint_{A}\frac{dz}{z(e^z-1)}\right]##

when a = 0. What do I do from here?
Mandelbroth meant
$$\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}\left[\left(\oint_{A}\frac{dz}{2\pi i(e^z-1)(z-a)^{n+1}}\right)(z-a)^n\right].$$ You can't cancel the factors of (z-a).

Related to Laurent Series Expansion of \frac{1}{e^z - 1}

What is a Laurent series expansion?

A Laurent series expansion is a representation of a complex function as a sum of infinitely many terms, including both positive and negative powers of the independent variable, typically in the form of a power series. It is named after mathematician Pierre Alphonse Laurent, who first studied these types of series.

When is a Laurent series expansion used?

A Laurent series expansion is used when the function being studied has a singularity (such as a pole or branch point) in its domain. In these cases, a Taylor series expansion is not sufficient, as it only works for functions that are analytic (smooth and non-singular) in their entire domain.

How is a Laurent series expansion calculated?

A Laurent series expansion is calculated using the formula: f(z) = Σn=-∞ an(z-z0)n, where z0 is the point of singularity and an are the coefficients of the series. These coefficients can be found using various methods such as the Cauchy integral formula or the residue theorem.

What is the difference between a Laurent series expansion and a Taylor series expansion?

The main difference between a Laurent series expansion and a Taylor series expansion is that a Taylor series only includes positive powers of the independent variable, while a Laurent series includes both positive and negative powers. This makes a Laurent series more suitable for functions with singularities in their domain.

What is the significance of the principal part in a Laurent series expansion?

The principal part of a Laurent series expansion is the sum of all terms with negative powers of the independent variable. It represents the singularity of the function and can provide information about its behavior near the singularity. It is often used to calculate residues, which are important in complex analysis and the theory of integration.