Laurent series around a singular point

In summary: Can you take it from here?In summary, the Laurent series of the given function in a neighborhood of the singular point z=2 is 1/4 * sum from n=0 to infinity of (-1)^n * (z-2)^n * 2^(n-2). This singularity is a pole of order 1.
jamilmalik
Find the Laurent series of the following function in a neighborhood of the singularly indicated, and use it to classify the singularity.

Homework Statement

[itex]f(z) = \frac{1}{z^2-4} ; z_0=2 [/itex]

Homework Equations

Laurent series
[itex]\sum_{-\infty}^{\infty} a_n (z-c)^n [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by doing a partial fraction decomposition of [itex] f(z) = \frac{1}{z^2-4} ; z_0=2 [/itex] which I got to be [itex] f(z) = \frac{-1}{4} \cdot \frac{1}{z+2} + \frac{1}{4} \cdot \frac{1}{z-2} [/itex] .
Then I used [itex] 0< \vert z+2 \vert < 2 \Rightarrow \vert \frac{z+2}{2} \vert < 1 [/itex] to apply the geometric series and get [itex] \frac{1}{4} \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} (\frac{2}{z})^k [/itex].

I am not sure if I made a mistake somewhere or if this method is not applicable. Can somebody please provide a hint or point out an error on my behalf?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use tex and /tex tags to do math typesetting on this forum.

If you are going to apply the geometric series formula, you need to

1) get a power series in z, not negative exponents
2) Get something that has (z-2)s in it since you want the Laurent series around z=2 (which means you can't take the power series around z=0)

Take note of the following.
[tex]f(z) = \frac{1}{z^2 - 4} = \frac{1}{z-2} \cdot \frac{1}{z+2} = \frac{1}{z - 2} \cdot \frac{\frac{1}{4}}{1 - \left( - \frac{z - 2}{4} \right)} = \frac{1}{z-2} \cdot \frac{1}{4} \sum_{n=0}^\infty \left( - \frac{z - 2}{4} \right)^n = \cdots[/tex]

Related to Laurent series around a singular point

1. What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a mathematical representation of a complex function in terms of a power series, which includes both positive and negative powers of the variable. It is used to extend the notion of a Taylor series to functions that have singularities, or points where the function is not defined or becomes infinite.

2. What is a singular point in a Laurent series?

A singular point in a Laurent series is a point where the function being represented has a discontinuity or becomes infinite. This can occur when the function has a pole, or a point where the function approaches infinity, or a branch point, where the function has multiple values. The Laurent series is used to represent the function around this point.

3. How is a Laurent series different from a Taylor series?

A Taylor series only includes positive powers of the variable, while a Laurent series includes both positive and negative powers. This allows the Laurent series to represent functions with singularities, while a Taylor series can only represent smooth functions. Additionally, a Taylor series is centered around a regular point, where the function is defined and analytic, while a Laurent series is centered around a singular point.

4. How is a Laurent series used in complex analysis?

In complex analysis, Laurent series are used to study the behavior of complex functions near singular points. They provide a way to approximate these functions and understand their properties, such as poles and branch points. They are also useful in calculating complex integrals and solving differential equations in the complex plane.

5. How do you determine the coefficients of a Laurent series?

The coefficients of a Laurent series can be determined using the formula: cn = (1/2πi) ∮C f(z)(z-a)-n-1 dz, where C is a contour around the singular point a. This formula involves calculating a contour integral, which can be done using techniques from complex analysis. Alternatively, the coefficients can be determined using the method of residues, which involves finding the residues of the function at its singular points.