Launch Angle and Distance Problem: Solving for Initial Speed and Maximum Height

In summary, the ball leaves the bat at an angle of 25.0 above the horizontal and is caught by the outfielder 370 ft from home plate. The ball had an initial speed of 30.0 m/s. The ball reached a max height of 374.6 ft above the point of impact and had a time to travel that distance of 2.93 seconds.
Psiboi
URGENT! General Launch Angle Problem

Homework Statement

A batted baseball leaves the bat at an angle of 25.0 above the horizontal and is caught by an outfielder 370 ft from home plate at the same height from which it left the bat

What was the initial speed of the ball?
How high does the ball rise above the point where it struck the bat?

Homework Equations

the 3 acceleration equations

v = vo + at
v^2 = vo^2 + 2a(deltax)
x = xo + vot + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried everything but it seems like this problem is impossible without at least a time or something. This problem isn't a typo tho and there is definitely a solution.

Physics news on Phys.org

Psiboi said:

Homework Statement

A batted baseball leaves the bat at an angle of 25.0 above the horizontal and is caught by an outfielder 370 ft from home plate at the same height from which it left the bat

What was the initial speed of the ball?
How high does the ball rise above the point where it struck the bat?

Homework Equations

the 3 acceleration equations

v = vo + at
v^2 = vo^2 + 2a(deltax)
x = xo + vot + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried everything but it seems like this problem is impossible without at least a time or something. This problem isn't a typo tho and there is definitely a solution.

Welcome to PF.

Looks to me like you can develop the information you need.

What are the x and y components of velocity. Hint: you have the angle given and the speed.

i don't see how i was given speed? just the full distance of the ball :(

Apparently, or maybe not, it seems Vi = 0 m/s ? Problems really should mention it began from rest.

Psiboi said:
i don't see how i was given speed? just the full distance of the ball :(

No you weren't given the speed. I mistyped. I meant to say you can find the speed from the information given.

Express the velocity in terms of its components. You do know the angle.

Now solve for time. You have two ways to express these velocities with time and distance.

For instance Vy = VSin25 and the time to max height

0 = Vy - g*t

tmax = Vy/g = (VSin25)/g then double that to return to the glove

t(total) = 2*(VSin25)/g

Now you know the equation that expresses distance as a function of time and x-velocity. And you have an expression that gives you time to travel that distance. Solve for V.

I don't understand how to work out this problem at all, how to get the answers.

Related to Launch Angle and Distance Problem: Solving for Initial Speed and Maximum Height

1. What is the "General Launch Angle Problem"?

The "General Launch Angle Problem" is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the optimal launch angle for a projectile to achieve a certain distance or height. It is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and sports.

2. How is the launch angle calculated in the "General Launch Angle Problem"?

The launch angle is calculated using the equation: θ = arctan((v^2 ± √(v^4-g(gx^2+2yv^2))/gx), where θ is the launch angle, v is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and x and y are the desired horizontal and vertical distances, respectively.

3. What factors affect the optimal launch angle in the "General Launch Angle Problem"?

The optimal launch angle is affected by various factors such as initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, air resistance, and the desired distance or height to be achieved. These factors must be taken into consideration when solving the problem in order to obtain an accurate result.

4. How is the "General Launch Angle Problem" used in real-life applications?

The "General Launch Angle Problem" has many practical applications, such as determining the best angle for a golfer to hit a golf ball, calculating the trajectory of a rocket or missile, and optimizing the launch angle for a projectile in sports like baseball or basketball.

5. Are there any limitations to the "General Launch Angle Problem"?

Yes, there are some limitations to the "General Launch Angle Problem". It assumes a perfect projectile motion, without taking into account factors such as air resistance, wind, or the shape and weight of the object being launched. In real-life situations, these factors can significantly affect the optimal launch angle and must be considered when solving the problem.