Lattice wave dispersion relation

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a wave traveling on a linear one-atomic chain with a wavelength equal to the lattice constant. The dispersion relation states that this will result in a zero frequency, and the Bragg equation for reflection will produce a superposition of left and right traveling waves. This leads to a band gap and no energy eigenstates for traveling solutions, as the cos and sin components are not degenerate.
Nikitin
Hi. A very quick question. Why is it impossible for a wave to travel on a linear one-atomic chain if its wavelength equals the lattice constant? I.e. the lattice points vibrate with a wavelength equal to the distance between them? Here's what I mean:
http://www.lcst-cn.org/Solid%20State%20Physics/Ch42.files/image020.gif
http://www.lcst-cn.org/Solid%20State%20Physics/Ch42.html

The dispersion relation says that the "wave" will have zero frequency if the wavelength equals the lattice constant.

I can see why it must be so mathematically, but I can't understand intuitively why this must happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The waves will fulfill the Bragg equation for reflection. Hence you get a (two to be precise) superposition of left and right traveling waves: sin(kx) and cos(kx). One of the two will have its maximum (of the squared function) at the ionic cores, the other one between the cores, so the first one will be energetically lower than the second one. That's the band gap. It also means that there are no energy eigenstates corresponding to traveling solutions ##(\cos(kx)\pm i \sin(kx))\exp(i\omega t)##.

Likes Nikitin
DrDu said:
The waves will fulfill the Bragg equation for reflection. Hence you get a (two to be precise) superposition of left and right traveling waves: sin(kx) and cos(kx). One of the two will have its maximum (of the squared function) at the ionic cores, the other one between the cores, so the first one will be energetically lower than the second one. That's the band gap. It also means that there are no energy eigenstates corresponding to traveling solutions ##(\cos(kx)\pm i \sin(kx))\exp(i\omega t)##.
as the cos and sin components are not degenerate.

Likes Nikitin

Related to Lattice wave dispersion relation

1. What is a lattice wave dispersion relation?

A lattice wave dispersion relation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the frequency and wavelength of lattice waves in a periodic crystal structure. It is used to study the propagation of these waves through the crystal lattice.

2. How is the lattice wave dispersion relation derived?

The lattice wave dispersion relation is derived from the equations of motion for the atoms in the crystal lattice, taking into account the forces between neighboring atoms. This results in a solution that describes the propagation of lattice waves through the lattice.

3. What information can be obtained from the lattice wave dispersion relation?

The lattice wave dispersion relation can provide information about the properties of the crystal, such as its elastic constants, as well as the speed and direction of lattice wave propagation. It can also be used to predict the behavior of lattice waves under different conditions.

4. How does the lattice wave dispersion relation differ from the dispersion relation for other types of waves?

The lattice wave dispersion relation is specific to periodic crystal structures, whereas other types of waves, such as electromagnetic waves, have different dispersion relations that are dependent on the medium through which they are propagating. Additionally, the lattice wave dispersion relation is often nonlinear, meaning that the frequency and wavelength are not directly proportional.

5. Why is the lattice wave dispersion relation important in materials science and engineering?

The lattice wave dispersion relation is important because it provides a fundamental understanding of the behavior of lattice waves in crystalline materials. This knowledge is crucial in designing and engineering materials with specific mechanical, thermal, and electrical properties. It also allows for the prediction and control of lattice wave phenomena, such as phononic crystals, which have potential applications in areas such as energy harvesting and information processing.