Latex code for the "not equivalent" symbol

In summary, the Latex code for the "not equivalent" symbol is \neq or \not\equiv. To add this symbol to your Latex document, you can either use the code in your equation or use the command in your text. This symbol is different from the "not equal" symbol (\ne) and can be resized using the \scalebox command. Other similar symbols in Latex include \ncong and \not\sim, representing the concepts of not being congruent and not being similar, respectively.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I have just posted on the Linear and Abstract Algebra forum ... and the post needs a "not equivalent" symbol as shown in Rotman's Proposition 1.58 part (ii) see below ...

Can someone please help with the latex code for this symbol?

PeterProposition 1,58 in Rotman's Abstract Algebra reads as follows:View attachment 4525
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/4526See Part (ii) of the above for the desired "not equivalent" symbol ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
[m]r\not\equiv r'\pmod{m}[/m] gives $r\not\equiv r'\pmod{m}$. For slightly more information, see StackExchange.

Related to Latex code for the "not equivalent" symbol

1. What is the Latex code for the "not equivalent" symbol?

The Latex code for the "not equivalent" symbol is \neq or \not\equiv.

2. How can I add the "not equivalent" symbol to my Latex document?

To add the "not equivalent" symbol to your Latex document, you can either use the code \neq or \not\equiv in your equation or use the command \neq or \not\equiv in your text.

3. Is the "not equivalent" symbol the same as the "not equal" symbol?

No, the "not equivalent" symbol (\neq or \not\equiv) and the "not equal" symbol (\ne) are different symbols in Latex. The "not equivalent" symbol is used to represent the mathematical concept of not being equivalent, while the "not equal" symbol is used to represent the concept of not being equal.

4. Can I change the size of the "not equivalent" symbol in Latex?

Yes, you can change the size of the "not equivalent" symbol by using the command \scalebox{size}{\neq} or \scalebox{size}{\not\equiv}, where "size" is the desired size of the symbol.

5. Are there any other symbols that are similar to the "not equivalent" symbol in Latex?

Yes, there are other symbols that are similar to the "not equivalent" symbol in Latex, such as \ncong and \not\sim. These symbols represent the concepts of not being congruent and not being similar, respectively.