Lateral compression of rectangular tube

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a fixture using stainless steel rectangular tube and calculating the stress and safe working load when a 10,000kg weight is applied over a 100mx100mm area. The potential local failures of the fixture are also mentioned and the suggestion of using finite element stress analysis to determine the best design.
Colnago
Hi guys,

Bit of a noob engineer here so looking for some guidance.

I'm designing a fixture which will be constructed from stainless steel rectangular tube as shown in the diagram. If I apply a 10,000kg weight over a 100mx100mm area how do I go about calculating the stress and ultimately safe working load?

The tube will be laid flat on the ground. Is this just a case of force/area? I'm struggling to find any textbook examples of loading applied to hollow sections in this way.

Thanks in advance!

Work%20image.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
You probably need to do some finite element stress analysis. I can't think of a way of simplifying it. Maybe someone else can.

Chet

Hi Colnago,

I'm no structural engineering expert but I would start with a shear stress calculation. Check the following link under the heading 'Beam shear' for an equation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_moment_of_area#Statical_moment_of_area

The equation is usually used for simply supported beams, rather than one which is supported throughout it's whole length but I think it is still valid. Maybe someone else could confirm.

Assuming we are talking about a local failure here and not a larger beam failure.

I see two possible local failures:
1) the horizontal face failing by bending
2) the vertical faces failing by buckling or crippling

You would have to make an assumption about the effective width of each face. You could come up with a less conservative design with FEM but probably not worth the effort practically.

Related to Lateral compression of rectangular tube

What is lateral compression of a rectangular tube?

Lateral compression of a rectangular tube refers to the force applied perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the tube that causes it to deform and potentially fail.

What factors affect the lateral compression of a rectangular tube?

The stiffness and strength of the material, the dimensions of the tube, and the magnitude and direction of the applied force can all affect the lateral compression of a rectangular tube.

How is the failure of a rectangular tube due to lateral compression determined?

The failure of a rectangular tube due to lateral compression is typically determined by analyzing the stress and strain on the tube using engineering principles and comparing it to the material's strength and stiffness properties.

What are some common applications of rectangular tubes under lateral compression?

Rectangular tubes under lateral compression are commonly used in structural engineering, such as in the construction of buildings, bridges, and other load-bearing structures.

How can lateral compression of a rectangular tube be prevented or mitigated?

Lateral compression of a rectangular tube can be prevented or mitigated by using stronger or thicker materials, increasing the dimensions of the tube, or by using additional support structures.