Laser Inquiry: What are Cold Lasers?

In summary, a cold laser is a laser that is used to lower the temperature of atoms. It can be used to do localized tissu damage, and excimer lasers are typically considered to be "cold lasers".
derekmohammed
Cold Lasers?

Hi,
I was overheard one of my profs talking and he was talking about cold lasers. I googled it but I could not find anything worth while. Does the laser "slow" down the electrons in the obitals? I don't really know how to approach this one... Does anyone know anything about this?

Derek

Science news on Phys.org
http://www.colorado.edu/physics/2000/bec/index.html may seem a little bit "Dick and Jane", but it contains fairly straightforward information. At the bottom of the page there is a link to a "laser cooling" page. The main jist of the laser's usefulness is that Adams will only be affected by a laser at a very particular frequency. The exact frequency depends on the type of atom.

The other main factor is red shift. Because of the red shift, the motion of an individual atom determines what color it "sees" from the laser.

Last edited by a moderator:
derekmohammed said:
Hi,
I was overheard one of my profs talking and he was talking about cold lasers. I googled it but I could not find anything worth while. Does the laser "slow" down the electrons in the obitals? I don't really know how to approach this one... Does anyone know anything about this?

Derek

Cold lasers? The prof may have been talking about laser cooling (see Lurch's link). You can use lasers to slow down the velocity (and thereby lower the temperature) of atoms. You cannot slow down electrons in their orbitals. Now maybe the prof didn't want their laser to get too warm (like they had the water cooling system shut down or something), otherwise a "cold" laser doesn't make much sense.

Sure. Your prof is up on the latest in eye surgery. You know, those eye surgery commercials on the radio are always talking about "cool blue waves of laser light washing gently over your eye".

(You don't suppose they're going to say "a pinpoint of focussed laser light will vapourize the surface tissues of your eyeball - just ignore that crackling sound and the wisps of smoke" now are they?)

Back when I was young, lasers required an entire room for one laser and could drill holes in steel- that's a "hot" laser!

Now, you can go to the hardware store and buy a laser that you then use to set up horizontal lines on your walls- that is certainly what I would mean by a "cold laser"!

Perhaps they were talking about Bose-Einstein condensate (atom lasers).

Ophtalmologists seem to use the term "cold laser" for lasers that do very localized tissu damage such that the procedure can be repeated indefinitely in the future. They cause minimal "co-lateral damage". Wavelengths seem to be in the UV and visible range. I think it is to be seen as "cold lasers" vs "IR lasers". Using "visible" or "UV" might scare away patients. Excimers and f-doubled Nd:YAG seem to be considered as cold lasers in this context.

Related to Laser Inquiry: What are Cold Lasers?

1. What are cold lasers?

Cold lasers, also known as low-level lasers or soft lasers, are medical devices that emit low levels of light energy to stimulate cellular function. Unlike hot lasers, cold lasers do not produce heat and are therefore safe for use on the skin.

2. How do cold lasers work?

Cold lasers work by emitting non-thermal photons of light that are absorbed by the cells in the body. This stimulates the production of ATP, a molecule that provides energy to cells, leading to improved cellular function and tissue repair.

3. What are the benefits of using cold lasers?

Cold lasers have been shown to have a variety of benefits, including reducing inflammation, improving circulation, relieving pain, and promoting tissue healing. They are commonly used in physical therapy, chiropractic care, and other medical treatments.

4. Are there any risks associated with cold laser therapy?

Cold laser therapy is generally considered safe and has minimal side effects. However, it is important to follow the recommended guidelines and avoid shining the laser directly into the eyes or on cancerous tumors.

5. How long does a cold laser treatment session last?

The duration of a cold laser treatment session can vary depending on the condition being treated. Generally, sessions can last anywhere from a few minutes to half an hour. Multiple sessions may be required for optimal results.