Laplace (heaviside function)

In summary, the task is to find the Laplace of a piecewise continuous function and the student is attempting to use the Heaviside function. However, their attempt is incorrect because they have not properly accounted for the shifting of the function. They should fix this error before continuing.
sara_87

Homework Statement

Find the Laplace of the piecwise continuous function:
F(t)= t (when t<2)
= 8-3t (when 2<=t<3)
= t-4 ( when 3<=t<4)
= 0 (when 4<=t)

Homework Equations

I want to use the heaviside function to see if i can apply it to other questions

The Attempt at a Solution

= t[H(t)] - t[H(t-2)] + (8-3t)[H(t-2)] - (8-3t)[H(t-3)] + (t-4)[H(t-3)] - (t-4)[H(t-4)]

Does this then equal to: Laplace of t times laplace of H(t) -lap(t)times(lap(H(t-2)) + etc...

because i did this but i got the wrong answer, i think I am missing something.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
To start with, [tex]-tH(t-2)= \left\{ \begin{array}{lr} 0, & t<2 \\ -t, & t \geq 2 \end{array} \neq \left\{ \begin{array}{lr} t, & t<2 \\ 0, & t \geq 2 \end{array}[/tex]I haven't looked closely at the rest of your equation, but you should fix this first and see if that does the trick.

Related to Laplace (heaviside function)

1. What is the Laplace (Heaviside) function?

The Laplace function, also known as the Heaviside step function, is a mathematical function that is commonly used in engineering, physics, and other scientific fields. It is denoted by the symbol 𝟙(t) and is defined as:

𝟙(t) = 0, for t < 0

𝟙(t) = 1, for t ≥ 0

2. What is the significance of the Laplace (Heaviside) function?

The Laplace function is significant because it represents a step change or sudden increase in a physical quantity. It is often used to model and analyze systems with discontinuous behavior, such as electronic circuits, control systems, and mechanical systems.

3. How is the Laplace (Heaviside) function related to the Unit Step function?

The Unit Step function is another name for the Laplace function, and they are essentially the same function with different notations. The Unit Step function is commonly denoted as u(t) or θ(t).

4. Can the Laplace (Heaviside) function be used to solve differential equations?

Yes, the Laplace function is often used in solving differential equations, particularly in the field of engineering. It allows for the transformation of a differential equation into an algebraic equation, making it easier to solve.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Laplace (Heaviside) function?

Yes, the Laplace function has many real-world applications, particularly in systems and control engineering. It is used to analyze and design control systems for various applications such as robotics, aerospace, and automotive systems. It is also used in signal processing, circuit analysis, and other fields.