Laplace by parts -> series

In summary, a scientist suggests using the method of residues to find the inverse Laplace transform and determine the eigenvalue to solve the given differential equation. They also mention the importance of absolute integrability in the validity of the solution and offer further assistance if needed.
mikeleeds

Homework Statement

Find analytic solution of some kind:

[tex]0&=Y''(y)-\frac{\alpha^2 [u(y) + U]}{\epsilon}Y(y)[/tex]

U eigenvalue, u(y) known, epsilon & alpha paramertres,and& Y thing to be found

Homework Equations

u(y) is a parallel flow of some kind and laplace transform given by:

[tex] \mathcal{L}[Y(y)]=\bar{Y}(s)=\int_0^{\infty} e^{-sy} Y(y) dy[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Do the transform:
[tex]
-sY(0)+s^2 \bar{Y}(s) &= \frac{\alpha^2}{\epsilon} \left( \mathcal{L}[u(y)Y(y)] + U \bar{Y}(s) \right)
[/tex]
Do the u(y)Y(y) transform
[tex]
\mathcal{L}[u(y)Y(y)]&=\int_0^{\infty} u(y)Y(y) e^{-sy}dy
[/tex]
by parts
[tex]
&=\bar{Y}(s)u(y)|_0^{\infty}-\int_0^{\infty} u'(y)\mathcal{L}[Y(y)] dy
[/tex]
by parts again and again...
[tex]
&=\bar{Y}(s)u(y)|_0^{\infty}-\frac{\bar{Y}(s) u'(y)|_0^{\infty}}{s} + \frac{\bar{Y}(s) u''(y)|_0^{\infty}}{s^2} - ...
[/tex]
this series might converge so we can truncate
Put it back together again and get a solutn. in Laplace space.

4. My problem:

I don't seem to get the right kind of answers, when I numerically undo my laplace transform they are either the wrong way round, or completely messed up (oscillating like a nutcase)! I don't know is you are allowed to do that kind of thing (the whole by parts business) or the validity of my series truncation... Could anyone clarify for me?

And if anyone is feeling REALLY helpful, they might tell me how to get the eigenvalue out and find what it is?!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I am a scientist who specializes in solving differential equations analytically. I will try to help you with your problem.

Firstly, your approach of using the Laplace transform is a good start. However, it seems that you are having trouble with the inverse Laplace transform. The inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function from the s-domain (Laplace space) back to the time-domain. There are several methods for doing this, such as using tables of Laplace transforms or using partial fraction decomposition.

In your case, since you have a series in the s-domain, you can use the method of residues to find the inverse Laplace transform. This method involves using the Cauchy integral formula to evaluate the inverse Laplace transform as a contour integral. You can find more information about this method in any standard textbook on complex analysis.

Regarding your concerns about the validity of your series truncation, it is important to note that the Laplace transform is only valid for functions that are absolutely integrable. So if your series converges, then it is a valid solution. However, if the series does not converge, then it is not a valid solution and you may need to try a different approach.

Finally, to find the eigenvalue, you can use the boundary conditions of your problem. Since the equation you are trying to solve is a second-order differential equation, you will need two boundary conditions to determine the eigenvalue. Once you have the eigenvalue, you can substitute it back into your solution to get the complete solution.

I hope this helps you with your problem. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. Good luck with your work!
Scientist

Related to Laplace by parts -> series

1. What is Laplace by parts?

Laplace by parts is a mathematical technique used to solve integrals involving products of functions. It is particularly useful for solving integrals that involve trigonometric functions, logarithmic functions, and exponential functions.

2. How does Laplace by parts work?

Laplace by parts involves using the product rule for differentiation in reverse to solve integrals. The technique involves choosing one function to differentiate and the other to integrate, and then repeating the process until the integral can be solved.

3. What is the difference between Laplace by parts and integration by parts?

Laplace by parts and integration by parts are essentially the same technique, but with different notation and focus. Integration by parts is typically used to solve indefinite integrals, while Laplace by parts is used to solve definite integrals. Additionally, Laplace by parts is often used in the context of solving differential equations.

4. When should I use Laplace by parts?

Laplace by parts is particularly useful for solving integrals involving products of functions where other integration techniques, such as substitution, are not applicable. It is also often used in the context of solving differential equations.

5. Are there any limitations to using Laplace by parts?

While Laplace by parts can be a powerful tool for solving integrals, it may not always work, especially for more complex integrands. In these cases, it may be necessary to use other integration techniques or numerical methods to solve the integral.