Landau and Lifshitz Course - any particular order?

In summary, Volume 1 of Mechanics should be read before Volumes 2, 3, and 5. Volume 2, 3, and 5 can be read concurrently, but 5 requires some quantum eventually. After finishing all that, move on to Volume 8, 9, and 10 in order.
osnarf
Hi everyone,

I'm currently working through volume 1 - mechanics. I'm planning on doing the whole series over the course of the next few years, but there are a few topics I'd like to get to before others. I was just wondering if they are meant to be read one after the other, or if they were just numbered as they were written (or maybe both are true?). Specifically I am wondering about the theory of elasticity, electrodynamics of continuous media (after reading the classical theory of fields), and physical kinetics.

I would really like to get to the theory of elasticity as soon as i can because they constantly claim things to be results of this theory in my engineering classes, and I'd very much like to see how. So are there any of the other books I should do first after mechanics before theory of elasticity, or can I go straight to it? I'm curious also about the other two volumes I mentioned above.

Thanks for your help

Edit: also, if you know of any math prerequisites besides mv calc on the level of calculus on manifolds, ODEs, and calculus of variations that are required, please let me know. Thanks again.

Physics news on Phys.org
77 Views, no replies - somebody must know, lol. Maybe the post is too long. summary from above:

Are they meant to be read in order 1 to 10 or can you skip around?

Thanks again

I'm definitely no expert, but I would say vol 1 should probably come before vol 3 since it introduces lagrangians & hamiltonians, which are fundamental in parts of quantum also. maybe vols 2, 6 & 8 are more or less independent of that, and could maybe be done together, since a lot of it is different names for the same sort of things. the rest I'm even less sure about; like I say, I'm no expert. :rolleyes: If others answered I wouldn't have even tried...

I only have the first 4 volumes. I think you could get away with reading 3 before 2. Also, I'm guessing that no other volume depends on 4.

Be careful: when Elsevier (spit) bought out Pergamon, the quality of printings went markedly down. The fine print can be unreadable in some of these pressings.

I've only read 1,2, and parts of 3 and 5 so far, but this is what I think:

You should read 1 before any other book.
2, 3, and 5 could be read concurrently. 5 requires some quantum eventually. I read 2 by itself, and now I'm reading 3 and 5 at the same time.
3 should be followed by 4; 5 should by followed by 6, then 7. After finishing all that, move on to 8,9,10 in order.

That's my plan, but not necessarily the only solution.

Related to Landau and Lifshitz Course - any particular order?

1. What is the "Landau and Lifshitz Course"?

The "Landau and Lifshitz Course" refers to a series of textbooks written by theoretical physicists Lev Landau and Evgeny Lifshitz. They cover a wide range of topics in physics, including mechanics, electrodynamics, quantum mechanics, and statistical physics.

2. Who are Lev Landau and Evgeny Lifshitz?

Lev Landau and Evgeny Lifshitz were both Soviet physicists who made significant contributions to theoretical physics. Landau was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1962 for his work on condensed matter and superfluidity. Lifshitz is best known for his contributions to classical mechanics and astrophysics.

3. What is the level of difficulty of the "Landau and Lifshitz Course"?

The "Landau and Lifshitz Course" is considered to be quite advanced and is typically used in graduate-level courses. It assumes a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, and can be challenging for those without a solid background in these subjects.

4. How many books are in the "Landau and Lifshitz Course"?

There are a total of ten books in the "Landau and Lifshitz Course" series. Each book is dedicated to a specific topic in physics, such as mechanics, electrodynamics, and quantum mechanics.

5. Are the "Landau and Lifshitz Course" books still relevant today?

Yes, the "Landau and Lifshitz Course" books are still highly regarded and widely used in physics education. While they were originally published in the 1950s and 1960s, the content is still considered to be valuable and relevant to modern physics research and understanding.