Lagrangian of a particle + conserved quantities

In summary, the Lagrangian of a particle is a mathematical function that describes its dynamics in a system. It is related to the principle of least action, used to calculate conserved quantities, and used to solve equations of motion. It can also be extended to systems with multiple particles.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Consider the spherical pendulum. In other words a particle with mass m constrained to move over the surface of a sphere of radius R, under the gravitational acceleration [tex]\vec g[/tex].
1)Write the Lagrangian in spherical coordinates [tex](r, \phi, \theta)[/tex] and write the cyclical coordinates and conserved quantities.
2)Define an effective potential energy [tex]U(\phi)[/tex] and determine (at least qualitatively) the allowed regions for the motion of the particle.

Homework Equations

Lots of.

The Attempt at a Solution

1)As the Lagrangian, I got [tex]L=\frac{m}{2}r^2 \left [ \dot \phi ^2 + \dot \theta ^2 \sin ^2 (\phi) \right ]+mgR \left [ 1- \cos (\theta) \right ][/tex]. Notice that [tex]\dot r=0[/tex].
I can already say that the energy is conserved since the Lagrangian doesn't depend explicitly on time.
I want to see if the linear momentum is conserved (is it stupid? I mean it seems obvious that no...)
So [tex]\vec P=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \vec \dot q}[/tex]. For [tex]\dot q = \dot r[/tex], I get [tex]\vec P=\vec 0[/tex]. What does that mean? It's a constant. So the "r" component of the linear momentum is conserved? It doesn't make sense to me to say it under these words.
I also reach [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot \phi}=mR^2 \dot \phi[/tex]. And [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot \theta}=m \dot \theta \sin ^2 (\phi)[/tex].
Since the energy is conserved, I can apply Euler-Lagrange's equation. I get that [tex]\dot \phi =0[/tex] which makes sense to me. Thus [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot \phi}=0[/tex] and so the [tex]\phi[/tex] component of the linear momentum is conserved. (Does this make sense to talk like this? What should I say instead? Maybe the angular momentum with respect to [tex]\phi[/tex]?).
Lastly I found out that [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot \theta}[/tex] is not necessarily constant (it is constant if the pendulum becomes the coplanar pendulum I believe) and thus the [tex]\theta[/tex] component of the linear momentum is not conserved.

I don't know what are the cyclical coordinates. I'll look into this further.
2)I just opened Landau's book to check out the effective potential energy and it is [tex]\frac{M^2}{2m R^2}[/tex] which seems to assume 2 particles... in my exercise there's only a massless sphere and a particle. I'm no clue what to do here.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing up this interesting problem. I am always excited to discuss and analyze different physical systems. Let me address your questions and provide some insights on the spherical pendulum.

1) Your Lagrangian seems to be correct, good job! And yes, the energy is conserved since the Lagrangian does not depend explicitly on time. As for the linear momentum, it is not conserved in this system since there is a force acting on the particle (gravity) and the Lagrangian is not invariant under translations in space. However, the angular momentum with respect to the z-axis (perpendicular to the plane of motion) is conserved. This is because the Lagrangian is invariant under rotations around this axis.

The conserved quantities in this system are the total energy (as you mentioned), the angular momentum with respect to the z-axis, and the z-component of the angular momentum. The cyclical coordinates are those that do not appear explicitly in the Lagrangian, so they are r and \theta in this case. This means that their corresponding momenta, \dot r and \dot \theta, are conserved quantities.

2) The effective potential energy is a useful concept in analyzing the motion of a particle in a central force field. In this case, it represents the potential energy experienced by the particle as if it were moving in one dimension (along the \phi coordinate), with the same equations of motion. This effective potential energy is given by U_{eff}(\phi) = mgR(1-\cos\theta), where \theta is a function of time. This potential has a minimum at \theta = 0 (when the particle is at the bottom of the sphere) and a maximum at \theta = \pi (when the particle is at the top of the sphere). So, qualitatively, the allowed regions of motion for the particle are between the bottom and top of the sphere. The particle cannot go beyond these points as it would require infinite energy.

I hope this helps in your understanding of the spherical pendulum. Keep up the good work in your studies and keep exploring the fascinating world of physics!

Related to Lagrangian of a particle + conserved quantities

1. What is the Lagrangian of a particle?

The Lagrangian of a particle is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a single particle in a system. It takes into account the particle's position, velocity, and potential energy, and is used to calculate the equations of motion for the particle.

2. How is the Lagrangian related to the principle of least action?

The Lagrangian is directly related to the principle of least action, which states that the actual path taken by a particle between two points is the one that minimizes the action, a quantity related to energy. The Lagrangian is used to calculate the action, and by minimizing it, we can determine the path the particle will take.

3. What are conserved quantities in regards to the Lagrangian?

Conserved quantities are physical properties that remain constant throughout the motion of a particle, regardless of any external forces acting on it. These can include energy, momentum, and angular momentum, and their conservation is a result of symmetries in the Lagrangian.

4. How is the Lagrangian used to solve equations of motion?

The Lagrangian is used to derive the Euler-Lagrange equations, which are a set of differential equations that describe the motion of a particle in terms of its position and velocity. By solving these equations, we can determine the trajectory of the particle and how it changes over time.

5. Can the Lagrangian be used for systems with multiple particles?

Yes, the Lagrangian can be extended to systems with multiple particles by considering the Lagrangian of each individual particle and summing them together. This allows for the analysis of more complex systems, such as those with multiple interacting particles or constraints.