Lagrangian mechanics - derivation doubt.

In summary: Glory!...thank you for seeing the link somehow. :DYeah that is my doubt. I understand why they are doing it but is it right? Doesn't potential energy change when velocity changes?
RRraskolnikov
In the attached snip, the last few steps of the lagrangian equation is shown. I don't understand how the [itex]\frac{\delta V}{\delta\dot{q_j}}= 0[/itex]. As an example let me take gravitational force. With change in velocity ( along the downwards direction obviously), there sure is a change in gravitational potential energy. When [itex]q_j[/itex] changes then [itex]\dot{q_j} [/itex]definitely changes. So what am I missing here?

nothumb.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
RRraskolnikov said:
In the attached snip, the last few steps of the lagrangian equation is shown. I don't understand how the [itex]\frac{\delta V}{\delta\dot{q_j}}= 0[/itex]. As an example let me take gravitational force. With change in velocity ( along the downwards direction obviously), there sure is a change in gravitational potential energy. When [itex]q_j[/itex] changes then [itex]\dot{q_j} [/itex]definitely changes. So what am I missing here?

nothumb.jpg
The fact is that V is not *explicit* function of the [itex]{q_j} [/itex]s. Once you have found a set of (usually) independent variables [itex]{q_j} [/itex] and [itex]\dot{q_j} [/itex] you have to find how the quantities you are considering depends on these variables; you find, in this case, that V doesn't depend on the [itex]\dot{q_j} [/itex] but on the [itex]{q_j} [/itex] only.

Another consideration: why writing L as function of [itex]{q_j} [/itex], [itex]\dot{q_j} [/itex] and t? If it's function of the [itex]{q_j} [/itex], you could think it's superfluous to write even their time derivative; and if all of the [itex]{q_j} [/itex] at the end are only function of t, why not simply saying that L is function of t only?
There are precise reasons too technical to write here (at night, for me :smile:) you will have to make a little effort in your study, make many excercises and go on...

Last edited:
RRraskolnikov said:
In the attached snip, the last few steps of the lagrangian equation is shown. I don't understand how the [itex]\frac{\delta V}{\delta\dot{q_j}}= 0[/itex]. As an example let me take gravitational force. With change in velocity ( along the downwards direction obviously), there sure is a change in gravitational potential energy. When [itex]q_j[/itex] changes then [itex]\dot{q_j} [/itex]definitely changes.
Not if you're slowly lowering a massive object attached to a rope, with a fixed velocity. The potential function is supposed to be useful regardless of what else is going on.

Note that if ##F=-1/x^2## and ##F=-dV/dx##, we have
$$\frac{dV}{dx}=-F=\frac{1}{x^2} =\frac{d}{dx}\left(-\frac{1}{x}\right).$$ So
$$V=-\frac 1 x.$$ Note that there's no ##\dot x## in this formula.

Fredrik said:
Not if you're slowly lowering a massive object attached to a rope, with a fixed velocity. The potential function is supposed to be useful regardless of what else is going on.

Note that if ##F=-1/x^2## and ##F=-dV/dx##, we have
$$\frac{dV}{dx}=-F=\frac{1}{x^2} =\frac{d}{dx}\left(-\frac{1}{x}\right).$$ So
$$V=-\frac 1 x.$$ Note that there's no ##\dot x## in this formula.

But you are taking a specific case and some assumptions. They haven't done that. So...

RRraskolnikov said:
But you are taking a specific case and some assumptions. They haven't done that. So...
Maybe they didn't. (There's no link and no attachment in your OP). But you did. You said that the velocity "definitely changes", so you must have assumed that the object is falling or something. I showed that there is a situation in which the velocity doesn't change.

My point is that the gravitational potential is the same (proportional to 1/r2) regardless of what non-gravitational forces are acting on the object.

Fredrik said:
Maybe they didn't. (There's no link and no attachment in your OP). But you did. You said that the velocity "definitely changes", so you must have assumed that the object is falling or something. I showed that there is a situation in which the velocity doesn't change.

My point is that the gravitational potential is the same (proportional to 1/r2) regardless of what non-gravitational forces are acting on the object.

Oh sorry, the attachment was too big. Click on that thumbnail. It takes you to a image hosting site.

There is no thumbnail either.

I've read it copying the link which appears answering his post. It simply says that if V doesn't depend on the generalized velocities, it can be brought into the partial derivative with respect to the velocities as a subtractive term to kinetic energy T, becoming the lagrangian L so the lagrange equations results in the standard form:
(d/dt)@L/@q_j' = @L/@q_j

lightarrow said:
I've read it copying the link which appears answering his post. It simply says that if V doesn't depend on the generalized velocities, it can be brought into the partial derivative with respect to the velocities as a subtractive term to kinetic energy T, becoming the lagrangian L so the lagrange equations results in the standard form:
(d/dt)@L/@q_j' = @L/@q_j

Glory!...thank you for seeing the link somehow. :D
Yeah that is my doubt. I understand why they are doing it but is it right? Doesn't potential energy change when velocity changes?

RRraskolnikov said:
Doesn't potential energy change when velocity changes?

The point is that you form the Lagrangian at each particular instant in time. For any fixed value of t, the PE doesn't depend on the velocity, it only depends on position.

As an example, think about throwing a ball vertically. The (gravitational) PE is just mgh, the same as it was when you learned about "energy methods" in a first dynamics course without using the Lagrangian formulation. if the ball is at a particular height above the ground, the PE is the same whether it is moving up, down, or not moving at all.

AlephZero said:
The point is that you form the Lagrangian at each particular instant in time. For any fixed value of t, the PE doesn't depend on the velocity, it only depends on position.

As an example, think about throwing a ball vertically. The (gravitational) PE is just mgh, the same as it was when you learned about "energy methods" in a first dynamics course without using the Lagrangian formulation. if the ball is at a particular height above the ground, the PE is the same whether it is moving up, down, or not moving at all.

The ball not moving is a trivial case of velocity being zero. But consider any other possibility of velocity. Then h depends on the velocity. So the potential energy does depend on the velocity, right?

RRraskolnikov said:
The ball not moving is a trivial case of velocity being zero. But consider any other possibility of velocity. Then h depends on the velocity. So the potential energy does depend on the velocity, right?
No, it does not. Even if you define h as a function, and write something like V(h(v)), then V is still just a function from the set of possible positions into ℝ. ##V\circ h## on the other hand is a function from the set of possible velocities into ℝ.

You should try to think in terms of functions instead of in terms of variables that depend on each other.

Go back to the basic definition of a potential function in mechanics. At any point in space, it is equivalent to a force on an object equal to the gradient of the potential.

If a potential function exists at all, then the work done by the force when you move between two points A and B is always the same. It doesn't depend on the path you take between the points, or on the speed you travel. So the potential function can only depend on the position, not on the velocity, or anything else.

Of course there are other types of force in physics which DO depend on the velocity, but they can't be described by a potential function, by definition. You may learn how to handle them in the Lagrangian formulation later, but don't get connfused by trying to deal with "everything all at once". The best way to learn any subject is one step at a time!

AlephZero said:
Go back to the basic definition of a potential function in mechanics. At any point in space, it is equivalent to a force on an object equal to the gradient of the potential.

If a potential function exists at all, then the work done by the force when you move between two points A and B is always the same. It doesn't depend on the path you take between the points, or on the speed you travel. So the potential function can only depend on the position, not on the velocity, or anything else.

Of course there are other types of force in physics which DO depend on the velocity, but they can't be described by a potential function, by definition. You may learn how to handle them in the Lagrangian formulation later, but don't get connfused by trying to deal with "everything all at once". The best way to learn any subject is one step at a time!

That did it. Now I get it.
Thanks a lot!

Related to Lagrangian mechanics - derivation doubt.

1. What is Lagrangian mechanics?

Lagrangian mechanics is a mathematical framework used to describe the motion of a system of particles or rigid bodies. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that the motion of a system can be determined by minimizing the action, a quantity that combines the energy and forces acting on the system.

2. Why is Lagrangian mechanics used?

Lagrangian mechanics is often used because it provides a more elegant and efficient way to describe the motion of a system compared to Newtonian mechanics. It allows for the use of generalized coordinates, which can simplify complex systems, and it also takes into account the constraints and symmetries of a system.

3. What is the derivation of Lagrangian mechanics?

The derivation of Lagrangian mechanics involves starting with the principle of least action and using the calculus of variations to determine the equations of motion for a system. This involves finding the Lagrangian, which is a function that describes the kinetic and potential energies of a system, and then using the Euler-Lagrange equations to solve for the equations of motion.

4. How is Lagrangian mechanics related to Hamiltonian mechanics?

Lagrangian mechanics and Hamiltonian mechanics are two equivalent formulations of classical mechanics. While Lagrangian mechanics is based on minimizing the action, Hamiltonian mechanics is based on the Hamiltonian, a function that combines the kinetic and potential energies of a system. Both approaches can be used to solve for the equations of motion and describe the behavior of a system.

5. What are the applications of Lagrangian mechanics?

Lagrangian mechanics has numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is commonly used in theoretical physics to describe the motion of particles and fields, and it has also been applied to problems in classical mechanics, celestial mechanics, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in the design and analysis of mechanical systems and in the development of control systems for robots and other devices.