Lagrangian Mechanics, Conservation of Momentum problem

In summary, Lagrangian Mechanics is a mathematical framework based on the principle of least action that is used to describe the motion of a system of particles. It differs from Newtonian Mechanics in that it is based on the concept of energy rather than forces. The Conservation of Momentum problem is a type of physical problem that requires the use of Lagrangian Mechanics to solve, as momentum is conserved in this framework if the Lagrangian function is invariant under translations in space and time. The advantages of using Lagrangian Mechanics include its generality, elegance, and ability to handle complex systems and symmetries.
fisica1988
Hello, I am just starting Lagrangian mechanics and on a conservation problem but I am stuck. I have part of the solution (i think) but I am not sure how to complete it.

Homework Statement

In an infinite homogeneous plane. Find all the components of momentum and angular momentum that are conserved.

Homework Equations

Obviously there are:
[tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial q_i} = f_i [/tex]
[tex] p_i = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}_i}[/tex]
[tex] f_i = {\dot{p}_i}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I said that in the infinite homogeneous plane (in the xy plane) since the potential energy doesn't depend on x or y displacement alone these coordinates did not change the Lagrangian. Therefore:

[tex] L = L(x, y, z, \dot{x}, \dot{y}, \dot{z}) = L(x+e, y+e, z, \dot{x}, \dot{y}, \dot{z})[/tex]
Where e is a change in the coordinates (I'm assuming you can displace them equally and still get back the Lagrangian. If I'm wrong please correct me) .

So since the Lagrangian is translationally invariant I said:

[tex] f_x = \frac{\partial L}{\partial x} = 0 =\dot{p}_x [/tex]

If [tex] \dot{p}_x = 0[/tex], the rate of change of the momentum in the x-direction is constant ( [tex] p_x = constant [/tex] ).

Likewise for the y-direction of momentum:

[tex] f_y = \frac{\partial L}{\partial y} = 0 =\dot{p}_y [/tex]
[tex] p_y = constant [/tex]
Does this show, sufficently, mathematically that the x and y components of momentum are conserved?

My central difficulty is showing that, since the infinite homogeneous plane is centrally symmetric about the z-axis, show the z-component of angular momentum, M_z is conserved. I'm unclear on how to do that.

-Thanks

Edit: P.S. the reason I have trouble with the M_z comonent is because I think of it as M_z = x*p_y - y*p_x and since p_x and p_y are constant and the coordinates are invariant under translation that means M_z is constant. But I don't know if that right because it doesn't seem to make sense for the field of 2 points (whos like connecting them is on the z-axis). p_y and p_x are not conserved there. I don't know hwo to show this, or show it with a general Lagrangian like L = T - U or something.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to your question is yes, your argument does show that the x and y components of momentum are conserved. To show that the z-component of angular momentum is conserved, you can use the fact that the Lagrangian is invariant under rotations about the z-axis. This means that the derivative of the Lagrangian with respect to the angle of rotation (which is equal to the z-component of angular momentum) must be zero, i.e. $\frac{\partial L}{\partial \phi} = 0$, where $\phi$ is the angle of rotation. This implies that the z-component of angular momentum is conserved.

Related to Lagrangian Mechanics, Conservation of Momentum problem

1. What is Lagrangian Mechanics?

Lagrangian Mechanics is a mathematical framework used to describe the motion of a system of particles. It is based on the principle of least action, which states that a system will follow a path that minimizes the action, defined as the integral of the Lagrangian function.

2. How is Lagrangian Mechanics different from Newtonian Mechanics?

Newtonian Mechanics is based on the concept of forces, while Lagrangian Mechanics is based on the concept of energy. In Lagrangian Mechanics, the equations of motion are derived from the Lagrangian function, which takes into account the kinetic and potential energies of the system, rather than the individual forces acting on each particle.

3. What is the Conservation of Momentum problem?

The Conservation of Momentum problem is a type of physical problem that requires the use of Lagrangian Mechanics to solve. It involves determining the trajectories of multiple particles in a system, taking into account the conservation of momentum. This type of problem is commonly encountered in physics and engineering.

4. How is momentum conserved in Lagrangian Mechanics?

In Lagrangian Mechanics, momentum is conserved if the Lagrangian function is invariant under translations in space and time. This means that the equations of motion will not change if the system is shifted in space or if the time origin is changed. This is a fundamental principle in Lagrangian Mechanics and is used to solve problems involving the conservation of momentum.

5. What are the advantages of using Lagrangian Mechanics?

Lagrangian Mechanics has several advantages over other methods of solving physical problems. It is a more general and elegant approach, as it takes into account the entire system rather than just individual forces. It also allows for the use of more complex coordinate systems and can be easily extended to include constraints and non-conservative forces. Additionally, it is useful for solving problems involving multiple particles and systems with symmetries.