Lagrangian Density, Non Linear Schrodinger eq

In summary, the Non-Linear Schrödinger equation can be derived from the calculus of variations by considering the Lagrangian density and using the Euler equation. However, the resulting equation is not exactly the same as the NSE and may require further adjustments.
dikmikkel

Homework Statement

Derive the Non-Linear Schrödinger from calculus of variations

Homework Equations

Lagrangian Density [itex] \mathcal{L} = \text{Im}(u^*\partial_t u)+|\partial_x u|^2 -1/2|u|^4[/itex]
The functional to be extreme: [itex] J = \int\limits_{t_1}^{t_2}\int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty}\! \mathcal{L}\,\text{d}x\,\text{d}t[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I integrate by parts make a variation function which is demanded differentiable in x,t and get the following Euler Equation(2d) so i consider the Lagrangian density:
[itex] \dfrac{\partial \mathcal{L} }{\partial u} = \dfrac{d}{dt}\left(\dfrac{\partial \mathcal{L} }{\partial u_t} \right) + \dfrac{d}{dx}\left(\dfrac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial u_x}\right)[/itex]
Inserting into the above i arrive at a equation not entierly similar to the Non-linear Schrodinger equation:
[itex] -|u|^2u-\dfrac{i}{2}\dfrac{\partial u}{\partial t} -\dfrac{\partial^2u}{\partial x^2} = 0[/itex]
My question is: Is this wrong? it looks a lot like the NSE but it is not entierly equal to

Physics news on Phys.org
Nwm i made an error the solution should be:
[itex] |u|^2u + i\partial_t u + \partial_{uxx} = 0 [/itex]

Related to Lagrangian Density, Non Linear Schrodinger eq

1. What is Lagrangian density?

Lagrangian density is a mathematical quantity used in the Lagrangian formalism to describe the dynamics of a physical system. It is defined as the Lagrangian per unit volume, where the Lagrangian is a function that describes the total energy of the system.

2. How is Lagrangian density used in physics?

Lagrangian density is used to describe the dynamics of systems in classical mechanics and quantum field theory. It allows for a more elegant and systematic approach to solving equations of motion and studying the behavior of physical systems.

3. What is the Nonlinear Schrodinger equation?

The Nonlinear Schrodinger equation is a partial differential equation that describes the evolution of a wave function in a nonlinear medium. It is used in many areas of physics, including nonlinear optics, plasma physics, and condensed matter physics.

4. What is the significance of the Nonlinear Schrodinger equation?

The Nonlinear Schrodinger equation is significant because it describes the behavior of wave-like phenomena in nonlinear systems. This allows for a deeper understanding of the dynamics of these systems and has applications in various fields of physics and engineering.

5. What are some examples of systems described by the Nonlinear Schrodinger equation?

Some examples of systems that can be described by the Nonlinear Schrodinger equation include Bose-Einstein condensates, optical fibers, and wave propagation in plasmas. It is also used in the study of solitons, which are self-reinforcing solitary waves that maintain their shape and energy as they travel through a medium.