Lagrange's Identity Homework (Boas 3rd ed Ch 3 Sec 4, Problem 24)

• Thread starter kq6up
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, the conversation is about the value of (AXB)^2+(A dot B)^2 and the use of Lagrange's Identity. The participants discuss the distinction between vectors and their magnitudes and the common practice of overloading notation to represent the dot product. The solution is found using the hint provided in the problem.
kq6up

Homework Statement

From Mary Boas' "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" 3rd ed. Ch 3 Sec 4 problem 24

Where A and B are vectors. What is the value of (AXB)^2+(A dot B)^2=? Comment: This is a special case of Lagrange's Identity.

Homework Equations

Cross product and dot product definitions.

The Attempt at a Solution

I get a nasty mess that ends up equaling A^2*B^2. That is what is supposed to equal, but I got such a large unwieldy result that I would have no idea that it all could be collapsed down to A^2*B^2 by simply looking at it. So I looked up the answer and saw that my mess is supposed to equal A^2*B^2. I tried it in SAGE and sure enough they are identical. However, I am not sure what the purpose of the exercise is supposed to help me understand other than expanding both sides to see that Lagrange's Identity indeed works.

Am I missing something here? I have noticed with working with Mary Boas' book most solutions are very elegant and don't require a rat's nest of algebra. Usually if a mess results, I am doing it wrong :D

Thanks,
Chris Maness

Physics news on Phys.org
kq6up said:

Homework Statement

From Mary Boas' "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" 3rd ed. Ch 3 Sec 4 problem 24

Where A and B are vectors. What is the value of (AXB)^2+(A dot B)^2=? Comment: This is a special case of Lagrange's Identity.

[

If A X B is a vector, what does it mean to square it? Or do you mean |AXB|^2?

The book presents it that way, but she states if you see a vector^2 it is actually the dot product with itself. I cheated and peaked at the solutions manual and she actually didn't give the answer, but a fat hint.

Use AXB=|A||B|*sin(x), and A dot B=|A||B|*cos(x).

It is indeed very elegant with this hint.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

kq6up said:
The book presents it that way, but she states if you see a vector^2 it is actually the dot product with itself. I cheated and peaked at the solutions manual and she actually didn't give the answer, but a fat hint.

Use AXB=|A||B|*sin(x), and A dot B=|A||B|*cos(x).

It is indeed very elegant with this hint.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

You need to be more careful about the distinction between vectors and their magnitudes. Your statement above that I have highlighted makes no sense because you have a vector on the left and a scalar on the right. I think you made the same mistake in your original statement of the problem. Don't confuse AXB with |AXB|.

Yes, I see the issue. She does write it just like that in the text with that statement for clarity.

Thanks,
Chris Maness

LCKurtz said:
If A X B is a vector, what does it mean to square it? Or do you mean |AXB|^2?

It is not confusion, it is operator overloading.

It is very common (almost standard) to define.
$$\mathbf{A}^2=\mathbf{A}\cdot \mathbf{A}=|\mathbf{A}|^2$$
no confusion is likely to result the other self products are written
$$\mathbf{A} \times \mathbf{A}=\mathbf{0} \\
\mathbf{A} \mathbf{A}
$$

The hint form is slightly troubling it could be written unambiguously, for example
$$(\mathbf{A}\times \mathbf{B})^2=\mathbf{A}^2 \, \mathbf{B}^2 \, \sin^2(x)=(|\mathbf{A}|\, |\mathbf{B}| \sin(x))^2 \\
(\mathbf{A}\cdot \mathbf{B})^2=\mathbf{A}^2 \, \mathbf{B}^2 \, \cos^2(x)=(|\mathbf{A}|\, |\mathbf{B}| \cos(x))^2$$

Yes, your first LaTeX line is in her text, and then it goes on to write (|AXB|)^2 as (AXB)^2.

Chris

lurflurf said:
It is not confusion, it is operator overloading.

It is very common (almost standard) to define.
$$\mathbf{A}^2=\mathbf{A}\cdot \mathbf{A}=|\mathbf{A}|^2$$
no confusion is likely to result the other self products are written
$$\mathbf{A} \times \mathbf{A}=\mathbf{0} \\
\mathbf{A} \mathbf{A}
$$

The hint form is slightly troubling it could be written unambiguously, for example
$$(\mathbf{A}\times \mathbf{B})^2=\mathbf{A}^2 \, \mathbf{B}^2 \, \sin^2(x)=(|\mathbf{A}|\, |\mathbf{B}| \sin(x))^2 \\
(\mathbf{A}\cdot \mathbf{B})^2=\mathbf{A}^2 \, \mathbf{B}^2 \, \cos^2(x)=(|\mathbf{A}|\, |\mathbf{B}| \cos(x))^2$$

Yes, I have seen that before too, and I don't care for it. But I have never seen it acceptable to write$$
A\times B = |A||B|\sin\theta$$Students have enough trouble keeping vectors and scalars straight without overloading (abusing) the notation.

Related to Lagrange's Identity Homework (Boas 3rd ed Ch 3 Sec 4, Problem 24)

What is Lagrange's Identity?

Lagrange's Identity is a mathematical formula that relates the coefficients and roots of a polynomial. It states that the sum of the squares of the roots of a polynomial is equal to the sum of the squares of its coefficients.

How is Lagrange's Identity used?

Lagrange's Identity is used in solving problems related to polynomials, such as finding the roots of a polynomial or determining the coefficients of a polynomial.

What is the significance of Lagrange's Identity?

Lagrange's Identity is significant because it allows us to easily relate the coefficients and roots of a polynomial, making it a useful tool in solving problems related to polynomials.

Can Lagrange's Identity be used for polynomials with complex roots?

Yes, Lagrange's Identity can be used for polynomials with complex roots. However, the coefficients and roots must also be complex numbers in order for the identity to hold.

Are there any limitations to using Lagrange's Identity?

One limitation of Lagrange's Identity is that it only applies to polynomials with real or complex coefficients. It cannot be used for polynomials with coefficients that are not real or complex numbers.