Lagrange multipliers: Variables cancelling out?

In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum and minimum values of the function f(x,y)=y2-x2 with the constraint x2/4 +y2=2. After taking partial derivatives and setting them equal to the Lagrange multiplier, it is found that λ can equal -4 or 1. However, there are also other possibilities for λ that should be considered. It may also be helpful to recognize that the constraint equation is the equation of a conic.
ucbearcat
Find the maximum and minimum of f(x,y)=y2-x2 with the constraint x2/4 +y2=2.

My calculus professor gave us this on his exam and there were no problems like this in the book and I would just like to know how it's done because it's bothering me ha.

After doing the partial derivatives I got -2x=(x/2)λ and 2y=2yλ. This just makes λ=-4 and 1. I'm not sure what I should have done or do from here since there is no variables to find the min and max unless there is no maximums or minimums but I feel like there would be because it was the only problem about lagrange multipliers on the exam.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's look more carefully at your expression involving y:

2y=2yλ

If you rearrange it you can get:

0 = 2yλ-2y = 2y(λ-1)

You've assumed λ-1 = 0. What's the other possibility? Same w/ the equation involving x.

It can also be helpful to recognize that x2/4 +y2=2 is the equation of a common conic.

Last edited:

Related to Lagrange multipliers: Variables cancelling out?

1. What are Lagrange multipliers?

Lagrange multipliers are a mathematical tool used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function subject to constraints. They were named after mathematician Joseph-Louis Lagrange.

2. What is the purpose of using Lagrange multipliers?

The purpose of using Lagrange multipliers is to find the optimal values of variables in a function while satisfying a set of constraints. They allow us to solve optimization problems with multiple variables and constraints.

3. How do Lagrange multipliers work?

Lagrange multipliers work by creating a new function called the Lagrangian, which combines the original objective function and the constraints using a set of multiplier variables. The optimal values of the variables can then be found by solving a system of equations.

4. What do you mean by "variables cancelling out" in Lagrange multipliers?

In Lagrange multipliers, variables may appear in both the objective function and the constraints. When using the method, the variables are often "cancelled out" or eliminated in order to find the optimal solution. This is done by setting the partial derivatives of the Lagrangian with respect to the variables equal to zero.

5. In what types of problems are Lagrange multipliers commonly used?

Lagrange multipliers are commonly used in optimization problems in fields such as economics, engineering, and physics. They are also used in machine learning and data analysis to find the best fit for a given set of data. In general, they are useful for solving problems with multiple variables and constraints.