Lagrange Multiplier theory question

In summary: WduYXRpb24sIFJHID0gTVIgTm9ybWFsZToNCiAgUGxlYXNlIHRoZSBsb3cgYXJlIHJlc3BvbmRlZCBvZiBjb250cmF0aW9uIHdpdGggc29tZSBhZGRpdGlvbmFsIGNvbnRyYWlucyBvbiBmb3Igd2hpY2ggdGhpcyB0d28gaW5zdGFsbGFibGVzIG9mIEhvbWUgeC55LCB5LHooZD1t
flyingpig

Homework Statement

I made this up, so I am not even sure if there is a solution

Let's say I have to find values for which these two inequality hold [tex]x^2 + y^5 + z = 6[/tex] and [tex]8xy + z^9 \sin(x) + 2yx \leq 200[/tex]And by Lagrange Multipliers that

[tex]\nabla f = \mu \nabla g[/tex]

So can I let [tex]f = 8xy + z^9 \sin(x) + 2yx - 200 \leq 0[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
What question are you trying to answer? Normally, the Lagrange multiplier method is used to find a maximum or minimum to a given function with some additional constraints. Here, you don't seem to have any function to maximize or minimize

HallsofIvy said:
What question are you trying to answer? Normally, the Lagrange multiplier method is used to find a maximum or minimum to a given function with some additional constraints. Here, you don't seem to have any function to maximize or minimize

Yeah I made one by making f <= 0...?

Okay I got this idea from another problem from this video

go to 5:05...

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess you want to know if it is possible to find some x,y,x that give you f(x,y,z) <= 0 and g(x,y,x) = 0, where f and g are the two functions given in your post. One way would be to solve the problem
minimize f, subject to g = 0, then check if the min value of f is <= 0. This approach is pretty standard, for example, when checking if a set of linear equations and inequalities is feasible.

RGV

Related to Lagrange Multiplier theory question

What is Lagrange Multiplier theory?

Lagrange Multiplier theory is a mathematical tool used to solve optimization problems with constraints. It helps to find the maximum or minimum value of a function while satisfying certain constraints.

What are the main applications of Lagrange Multiplier theory?

Lagrange Multiplier theory has various applications in fields such as economics, engineering, physics, and statistics. It can be used to optimize production processes, design efficient structures, and solve equilibrium problems in physics and economics.

How does Lagrange Multiplier theory work?

Lagrange Multiplier theory uses the concept of gradients to find the optimal solution. It involves setting up a system of equations, known as the Lagrange equations, and solving them to find the values of the variables that satisfy the constraints and optimize the function.

What are the advantages of using Lagrange Multiplier theory?

Lagrange Multiplier theory provides a systematic and efficient way to solve optimization problems with constraints. It also allows for the inclusion of multiple constraints and can handle non-linear functions, making it a versatile tool in various fields.

Are there any limitations to Lagrange Multiplier theory?

While Lagrange Multiplier theory is a powerful tool, it may not always provide the global optimal solution. In some cases, it may only give a local optimal solution. Additionally, it can be computationally intensive for complex problems, requiring special algorithms to solve.