Lagrange equation for block and incline

ChiralSuperfields
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this problem,
1714182484636.png

Does someone please know where the term highlighted in blue came from?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
ChiralSuperfields said:
Homework Statement: Please see below
Relevant Equations: Please see below

For this problem,
View attachment 344125

Thanks!
Write the kinetic energy of the block in the inertial frame. ##\dot y ## is w.r.t. the ( accelerating) wedge.

• Love
Likes ChiralSuperfields
erobz said:
Write the kinetic energy of the block in the inertial frame. ##\dot y ## is w.r.t. the ( accelerating) wedge.
Thank you for your reply @erobz!

##T = \frac{1m}{2}(\dot x)^2 + \frac{1m}{2}(\dot y)^2##

Is the please correct?

THanks!

ChiralSuperfields said:

##T = 1/2m\dotx + 1/2m\doty##

Is the please correct?

THanks!
No, it is incorrect (even including if you add the missing squares). Note that the x and y directions of motion for the block are not orthogonal.

• Love
Likes ChiralSuperfields
ChiralSuperfields said:

##T = \frac{1m}{2}(\dot x)^2 + \frac{1m}{2}(\dot y)^2##

Is the please correct?

THanks!
No. The wedge is moving with velocity ##\dot x##, the block is riding on the wedge. ##\dot y## is with respect to the wedge, the wedge is not an inertial frame.

• Love
Likes ChiralSuperfields
Orodruin said:
No, it is incorrect (even including if you add the missing squares). Note that the x and y directions of motion for the block are not orthogonal.
Thank you for your reply @Orodruin!

Sorry I am confused. I know the axes are not orthongal, put that does not make a difference does it (since the velocity is both along the axes)?

Thanks!

ChiralSuperfields said:
Thank you for your reply @Orodruin!

Sorry I am confused. I know the axes are not orthongal, put that does not make a difference does it (since the velocity is both along the axes)?

Thanks!
Pretend you are standing in the ground watching this unfold. What velocity do you measure for the block in the horizontal and vertical directions? Remember ##\dot y ## is being measured with respect to the wedge.

• Love
Likes ChiralSuperfields
ChiralSuperfields said:
put that does not make a difference does it
It most certainly does. Imagine for example that they were parallel. What would the speed be?

• Love
Likes ChiralSuperfields and erobz
ChiralSuperfields said:
The drawing is misleading. It shows two arrows labeled ##\dot x##, one on the wedge and another to the right of the sliding block. The first arrow clearly represents the horizontal velocity of the wedge relative to the ground. The second arrow is meant to be the horizontal velocity of the sliding block relative to the ground. It cannot be given the same symbol because it is the horizontal velocity of the sliding block relative to the wedge plus the horizontal velocity of the wedge relative to the ground ##\dot x##. The highlighted term is the cross term that arises when you square the correct expression for the horizontal velocity of the block relative to the ground.

• Love
Likes DeBangis21 and ChiralSuperfields
erobz said:
Pretend you are standing in the ground watching this unfold. What velocity do you measure for the block in the horizontal and vertical directions? Remember ##\dot y ## is being measured with respect to the wedge.
Orodruin said:
It most certainly does. Imagine for example that they were parallel. What would the speed be?
kuruman said:
The drawing is misleading. It shows two arrows labeled ##\dot x##, one on the wedge and another to the right of the sliding block. The first arrow clearly represents the horizontal velocity of the wedge relative to the ground. The second arrow is meant to be the horizontal velocity of the sliding block relative to the ground. It cannot be given the same symbol because it is the horizontal velocity of the sliding block relative to the wedge plus the horizontal velocity of the wedge relative to the ground ##\dot x##. The highlighted term is the cross term that arises when you square the correct expression for the horizontal velocity of the block relative to the ground.
Thank you for your replies @erobz , @Orodruin and @kuruman!

I had another think about this and since the time derivative vectors of x and y, they form a non-right angle triangle, so I must use the cosine rule I think to find the correct magnitude of the velocity where I think the extra term comes from. Thanks!

ChiralSuperfields said:
Thank you for your replies @erobz , @Orodruin and @kuruman!

I had another think about this and since the time derivative vectors of x and y, they form a non-right angle triangle, so I must use the cosine rule I think to find the correct magnitude of the velocity where I think the extra term comes from. Thanks!
I doesn’t sound to me like you understand the crux of the problem yet.

Let’s start with the straightforward part. What is the vertical component of the blocks velocity in the ground frame?

• Love
Likes ChiralSuperfields
erobz said:
I doesn’t sound to me like you understand the crux of the problem yet.

Let’s start with the straightforward part. What is the vertical component of the blocks velocity in the ground frame?
The cosine rule is perfectly fine to use for addition of velocities here.

• Love
Likes ChiralSuperfields and erobz
To add to what @Orodruin just said (and since I’d already done a diagram!), vector-addition of the 2 velocities using the cosine rule is a simple approach:
block and wedge.gif

Remembering that ##\cos(\alpha) = -\cos(180^o - \alpha)##.

• Love
Likes ChiralSuperfields, Orodruin and erobz
Orodruin said:
The cosine rule is perfectly fine to use for addition of velocities here.
Ok, I wasn’t familiar with it by name.