KVL Solution for Loop A: V1-R1*I1-R2*(I1-I2)=0 vs. V1=R1*I1+R2*(I1-I2)

• Thread starter charlies1902
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kvl
In summary, there was a discussion about a circuit and its solution on a course's website. One of the questions was about which condition would ensure that a diode in the circuit is forward biased. The options were discussed and it was determined that V1-V2>0 is the correct condition. However, there was some confusion about the values used in the discussion and whether or not they accurately represented the condition. Ultimately, it was concluded that V1-V2>0 is the correct condition for ensuring that the diode is forward biased.
charlies1902
I attached the circuit. This is the solution that was posted on my course's website. I do not think it's right, but I want to make sure to avoid making myself look dumb.

Around loop A, KVL should be:
V1-R1*I1-R2*(I1-I2)=0
V1=R1*I1+R2*(I1-I2)

This would be answer c. Their answer is e.
Is the answer supposed to be c?never mind...I was being stupid, I1 and I2 aren't mesh currents so their answer is right.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 408
Physics news on Phys.org
charlies1902 said:
I attached the circuit. This is the solution that was posted on my course's website. I do not think it's right, but I want to make sure to avoid making myself look dumb.

Around loop A, KVL should be:
V1-R1*I1-R2*(I1-I2)=0
V1=R1*I1+R2*(I1-I2)

This would be answer c. Their answer is e.
Is the answer supposed to be c?

never mind...I was being stupid, I1 and I2 aren't mesh currents so their answer is right.

I have another question regarding this circuit. Another question asked "Which of the following is needed for the diode to be forward biased?"
The options are:
1) V2<0
2) v1>0
3) V1+V2>0
4) V1-V2>0
5) V2-V1>0

This is my procedure:
The voltage on the right of the diode must be greater than the voltage on the left (Vd<0).
I found the voltage at the right node (Let's call this V_r) of the diode by doing KVl around the outer loop of the circuit. Not the whole loop, just until I got to that node. This gave:
V1-R1*I1-V2=V_r
Similarly, I used KVl to find the voltage at the node to the left of the diode (V_l):
V1-R1*I1-R2*(I1+I2)=V_l=0

So V_r>V_l=0
V1-R1*I1-V2>0
V1-V2>R1*I1

That's as far as I got. As you can see, this doesn't fit any of the answers.

charlies1902 said:
I have another question regarding this circuit. Another question asked "Which of the following is needed for the diode to be forward biased?"
The options are:
1) V2<0
2) v1>0
3) V1+V2>0
4) V1-V2>0
5) V2-V1>0

This is my procedure:
Take each of the answers in turn and show that the diode being forward-biased is one of: T, F or maybe. Choose the TRUE one. :smile:

The question's wording could be improved. I suggest, "Which of the following ensures that the diode will be forward biased."

I kind of already know the answer. It should be 4.

Isn't #1 true as well? This is one of those questions where I can't understand what to do when I plug in each answer.

charlies1902 said:
I kind of already know the answer. It should be 4.
Suppose the resistors are of equal value, so by themselves they would halve V1.
Let's say V1 = 10V.

Now, take V2=9V. (This satisfies V1-V2>0, so you believe it is the answer.)

Will the diode be conducting?

NascentOxygen said:
Suppose the resistors are of equal value, so by themselves they would halve V1.
Let's say V1 = 10V.

Now, take V2=9V. (This satisfies V1-V2>0, so you believe it is the answer.)

Will the diode be conducting?

Oh I see what you're saying. Yes, the diode would then be forward biased as the voltage on the right of the diode will be greater than its left.
In my original post, I tried deriving the answer using KVL, but couldn't get it to work. Were you able to catch an error in my KVL equations?

Thanks for the help.

charlies1902 said:
Oh I see what you're saying. Yes, the diode would then be forward biased
I chose those values so the diode will be reverse biased. :cry:

NascentOxygen said:
I chose those values so the diode will be reverse biased. :cry:

Huh? I'm confused, did you choose the wrong values by accident or do those values make it reverse biased?

10-9=1>0 so it fits the answer that V1-V2>0 ensures forward bias.
But...since the resistors are of equal value, they will both drop 5V. So that means the right node of the diode is at -4V and its left is at 0V, which isn't right.

Is V1-V2 not right?

charlies1902 said:
do those values make it reverse biased?
That.
10-9=1>0 so it fits the answer that V1-V2>0 ensures forward bias.
But...since the resistors are of equal value, they will both drop 5V. So that means the right node of the diode is at -4V and its left is at 0V, which isn't right.

Is V1-V2 not right?
That condition is not sufficient.

NascentOxygen said:
That.

That condition is not sufficient.

I mean the condition V1-V2>0. That is what the solution said. But it looks like (from the 2 voltage values you gave), the condition V1-V2>0 does not ensure that it's forward biased.

charlies1902 said:
I mean the condition V1-V2>0. That is what the solution said. But it looks like (from the 2 voltage values you gave), the condition V1-V2>0 does not ensure that it's forward biased.
That's the conclusion I formed. So what option are you now going to back?

nascentoxygen said:
that's the conclusion i formed. So what option are you now going to back?

v2-v1>0.

NascentOxygen said:
That's the conclusion I formed. So what option are you now going to back?

I don't think your conclusion is correct. 1. We don't know if the resistors are of equal value. 2. Even if they are of equal value, they will not have the same voltage drop (the current through R1 is not the same as the current through R2). Thus we can't calculate the voltage on the right of the diode.

I think the solution they gave is correct.
To have a forward biased diode, V_d (as shown in the schematic) must be less than 0 (polarities reversed).

charlies1902 said:
v2-v1>0.
That is equivalent to saying v2>v1. In this case, that is sufficient condition for ensuring that the diode is reverse biased.

NascentOxygen said:
That is equivalent to saying v2>v1. In this case, that is sufficient condition for ensuring that the diode is reverse biased.

V1-V2>0 is correct. Your last few posts regarding that are inaccurate.

Related to KVL Solution for Loop A: V1-R1*I1-R2*(I1-I2)=0 vs. V1=R1*I1+R2*(I1-I2)

1. What is KVL and why is it important to use the correct solution?

KVL stands for Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, which is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis. It states that the algebraic sum of voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. It is important to use the correct solution for KVL because it ensures the accuracy of circuit analysis and can help troubleshoot any issues in a circuit.

2. How can I tell if the solution for KVL is wrong?

If the solution for KVL is wrong, the algebraic sum of voltages around a closed loop in a circuit will not equal zero. This can be checked by manually calculating the voltages or using simulation software. Additionally, if the calculated voltages do not match the measured voltages in the circuit, it may indicate an incorrect KVL solution.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving KVL?

Some common mistakes when solving KVL include: not considering the polarities of voltage sources, not properly labeling the voltage drops in the circuit, and not following the correct direction of current flow. It is important to pay attention to these details in order to obtain an accurate KVL solution.

4. Can KVL still be applied if the circuit contains non-ideal components?

Yes, KVL can still be applied to circuits with non-ideal components. However, the voltage drops across these components may not be accurately represented by their ideal values. It is important to take into account any non-idealities when solving for KVL.

5. Is KVL the only method for solving circuit analysis problems?

No, KVL is not the only method for solving circuit analysis problems. Other methods, such as Kirchhoff's Current Law and Ohm's Law, can also be used. In some cases, a combination of these methods may be necessary to accurately analyze a circuit.