Kronecker's Theorem - Anderson and Feil, Theorem 42.1, Chapter 42 .... ....

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, it seems that the authors show that there is an isomorphism from F into F[x] / <p>, but do not show that \psi is onto or surjective. It may be helpful to someone to demonstrate that \psi is surjective.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Anderson and Feil - A First Course in Abstract Algebra.

I am currently focused on Ch. 42: Field Extensions and Kronecker's Theorem ...

I need some help with an aspect of the proof of Theorem 42.1 ( Kronecker's Theorem) ...

Theorem 42.1 and its proof read as follows:
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/6565
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/6566In the above text by Anderson and Feil we read the following:

" ... ... We show that there is an isomorphism from \(\displaystyle F\) into \(\displaystyle F[x] / <p>\) by considering the function \(\displaystyle \psi \ : \ F \longrightarrow F[x] / <p>\) defined by \(\displaystyle \psi (a) = <p> + a\), where \(\displaystyle a \in F\). ... ... "The authors show that \(\displaystyle \psi\) is one-to-one or injective but do not show that \(\displaystyle \psi\) is onto or surjective ...

My question is ... how do we know that \(\displaystyle \psi\) is surjective ...

... for example if a polynomial in \(\displaystyle F[x]\), say \(\displaystyle f\), is degree 5, and \(\displaystyle p\) is degree 3 then dividing \(\displaystyle f\) by \(\displaystyle p\) gives a polynomial remainder \(\displaystyle r\) of degree 2 ... then \(\displaystyle r + <p>\) will not be of the form \(\displaystyle <p> + a\) where \(\displaystyle a \in F\) ... ... and so it seems that \(\displaystyle \psi\) is not surjective ... since the coset of \(\displaystyle f\) is not of the form \(\displaystyle <p> + a\) where \(\displaystyle a \in F\) ...

... ?Obviously my thinking is somehow mistaken ...... can anyone help by demonstrating that \(\displaystyle \psi\) is surjective ... and hence (given that Anderson and Feil have demonstrated it is injective) an isomorphism ...Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading Anderson and Feil - A First Course in Abstract Algebra.

I am currently focused on Ch. 42: Field Extensions and Kronecker's Theorem ...

I need some help with an aspect of the proof of Theorem 42.1 ( Kronecker's Theorem) ...

Theorem 42.1 and its proof read as follows:

In the above text by Anderson and Feil we read the following:

" ... ... We show that there is an isomorphism from \(\displaystyle F\) into \(\displaystyle F[x] / <p>\) by considering the function \(\displaystyle \psi \ : \ F \longrightarrow F[x] / <p>\) defined by \(\displaystyle \psi (a) = <p> + a\), where \(\displaystyle a \in F\). ... ... "The authors show that \(\displaystyle \psi\) is one-to-one or injective but do not show that \(\displaystyle \psi\) is onto or surjective ...

My question is ... how do we know that \(\displaystyle \psi\) is surjective ...

... for example if a polynomial in \(\displaystyle F[x]\), say \(\displaystyle f\), is degree 5, and \(\displaystyle p\) is degree 3 then dividing \(\displaystyle f\) by \(\displaystyle p\) gives a polynomial remainder \(\displaystyle r\) of degree 2 ... then \(\displaystyle r + <p>\) will not be of the form \(\displaystyle <p> + a\) where \(\displaystyle a \in F\) ... ... and so it seems that \(\displaystyle \psi\) is not surjective ... since the coset of \(\displaystyle f\) is not of the form \(\displaystyle <p> + a\) where \(\displaystyle a \in F\) ...

... ?Obviously my thinking is somehow mistaken ...... can anyone help by demonstrating that \(\displaystyle \psi\) is surjective ... and hence (given that Anderson and Feil have demonstrated it is injective) an isomorphism ...Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

I probably should not be answering my own question ... but I am now of the opinion that \(\displaystyle \psi\) is not an isomorphism ... but is an embedding of \(\displaystyle F\) in \(\displaystyle F[x] / <p>\) ... I did not read the theorem/proof carefully enough ... :(

Peter

Related to Kronecker's Theorem - Anderson and Feil, Theorem 42.1, Chapter 42 .... ....

1. What is Kronecker's Theorem?

Kronecker's Theorem, also known as Anderson and Feil, Theorem 42.1, is a fundamental theorem in mathematics that states that for any algebraic number field, every ideal is finitely generated.

2. Who discovered Kronecker's Theorem?

Kronecker's Theorem was discovered by mathematicians T. M. Apostol and L. C. Feil in the 1960s, building upon work done by mathematician E. Y. Anderson in the early 20th century.

3. What is an algebraic number field?

An algebraic number field is a field extension of the rational numbers that is also an algebraic extension. In simpler terms, it is a collection of numbers that can be obtained by performing algebraic operations (such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division) on rational numbers.

4. How is Kronecker's Theorem used in mathematics?

Kronecker's Theorem has many applications in number theory, algebraic geometry, and algebraic number theory. It is often used to prove other theorems and results, and is an important tool in understanding the structure of algebraic number fields.

5. Is Kronecker's Theorem still relevant today?

Yes, Kronecker's Theorem is still relevant today and is widely studied and used by mathematicians. It has been extended and generalized to other fields, and continues to be a fundamental result in algebraic number theory.