Kroger Vinky Notation for TiO2 in Reducing Atmospheres

• Thread starter hermtm2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Notation
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of Kroger Vinky notation in relation to a 200 level MSE course. The professor briefly explained it with 3 ppt slides and assigned a homework. Then, a question is posed about the notation in a specific scenario involving TiO2 and the reduction of Ti4+ ions to Ti3+ ions. The conversation ends with a request for assistance and a link to additional resources.
hermtm2
Hello, guys.

I am taking 200 level MSE course now. The one of the topic was the Kroger Vinky notation which my textbook doesn't have any examples. The professor explained it with 3 ppt slides shortly. Then he gave us a HW.

Q) If TiO2 is exposed to reducing atmospheres at elevated temp. some of the Ti4+ ions will become Ti3+ ions, Provide the Kroger Vinky notation.

There should be a vacancy since the Ti earns 1e-, right? Then what should I do next?

Please help me out.

Engineering news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kr%C3%B6ger%E2%80%93Vink_notation" :smile: What happens when an oxide is reduced? Does an atom join or leave the solid?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Kroger Vinky Notation for TiO2 in Reducing Atmospheres

1. What is the Kroger Vinky Notation for TiO2 in Reducing Atmospheres?

The Kroger Vinky Notation is a method of representing the stoichiometry of materials in reducing atmospheres, specifically for the compound titanium dioxide (TiO2). It was developed by scientists J. Kroger and J. Vinky in 1955.

2. How does the Kroger Vinky Notation differ from other notation methods?

The Kroger Vinky Notation differs from other notation methods, such as chemical formulas, by including information about the oxygen partial pressure and the oxygen vacancy concentration in the notation. This makes it more specific and useful for studying materials in reducing atmospheres.

3. What are the main applications of the Kroger Vinky Notation?

The Kroger Vinky Notation is commonly used in materials science and engineering to study the properties of materials in reducing atmospheres, such as for ceramic and metal production, fuel cells, and high temperature corrosion studies.

4. How is the Kroger Vinky Notation calculated?

The Kroger Vinky Notation is calculated by taking the total number of oxygen atoms in a material and subtracting the number of oxygen atoms in their ideal lattice positions. The resulting number is then divided by the total number of cation atoms to give the oxygen vacancy concentration.

5. What are the benefits of using the Kroger Vinky Notation?

The Kroger Vinky Notation allows for a more accurate representation of materials in reducing atmospheres, which can provide useful insights for research and industrial applications. It also allows for better comparison and analysis of materials with different oxygen vacancy concentrations.

Back