Kohn Sham, calculation of electronic density

In summary, the Kohn-Sham ansatz is that the density of an interacting system can be described by a non-interacting system with the same density, under the influence of an effective potential Vs. This way of calculating the density, as shown by the formula \rho =2 \sum_{i=1}^{N/2} \phi^*_i \phi_i, is correct for a non-interacting system. However, it is important to note that there are some cases where this may not hold true. More information can be found in DFT books such as Parr-Yang.
Derivator
hi,

in the Kohn-Sham-Scheme one calculates the electronic density as follows:

[itex]\rho =2 \sum_{i=1}^{N/2} \phi^*_i \phi_i[/itex]

where the [itex]\phi[/itex] are the Kohn-Sham orbitals.

This looks like the density of a closed shell slater determinant. But am I correct, that this way of calculating the denisty is nothing more than an ansatz in the Kohn-Sham scheme? Or is there a justification, why the density [itex]\rho[/itex] of the interacting system should be given by the above sum?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Kohn-Sham ansatz is that it is possible to construct a non-interacting system with the same density as the given interacting system. That way of calculating the density is correct for a non-interacting system, which is the same as the density of the interacting system by assumption.

Any DFT book (Parr-Yang for instance) goes into great detail on the assumptions and derivations behind the Kohn-Sham scheme.

But in short, the ansatz is really that you can describe the true ground-state density in terms of a non-interacting "reference system" of electrons, under the influence of an effective potential Vs. If you have Vs, then your single determinant description is fine, as long as the true ground state is "non-interacting pure-state-Vs representable".

A few some non-degenerate ground states exist where this is known not to be the case, but there's not a lot of knowledge on when this becomes important in general. As per the quote I provided in your other thread on KS-DFT, there's a bit of a tendency to attribute errors to the single-determinant description that are actually due to the inaccuracy of the functional.

In general, for a non-degenerate ground state there does exist a set of orbitals ('natural orbitals', by definition) which diagonalize the single-particle density matrix. So that much isn't an approximation.

thank you for your answers.

just to be absolutely shure that i got it right.

the way of calculating the density by the formula
[itex]\rho =2 \sum_{i=1}^{N/2} \phi^*_i \phi_i[/itex]
is a direct consequence of the assumption of non-interacting V-representabillty.

Could you please confirm or deny this?

No it is not. Try reading http://www.diss.fu-berlin.de/diss/servlets/MCRFileNodeServlet/FUDISS_derivate_000000002262/02_kap2.pdf"

Last edited by a moderator:
hi alxm,

you said:

alxm said:
If you have Vs, then your single determinant description is fine, as long as the true ground state is "non-interacting pure-state-Vs representable".

In Kohn-Sham-Scheme one assumes "non-interacting pure-state-Vs representabillity", thus the single determinant description is fine, thus the way of calculating the density as [itex]\rho =2 \sum_{i=1}^{N/2} \phi^*_i \phi_i[/itex] is fine. (In this sense my last post (no. 4) should be understand)

Can you confirm this?

i repost my question:

Derivator said:
hi alxm,
In Kohn-Sham-Scheme one assumes "non-interacting pure-state-Vs representabillity", thus the single determinant description is fine, thus the way of calculating the density as [itex]\rho =2 \sum_{i=1}^{N/2} \phi^*_i \phi_i[/itex] is fine. (In this sense my last post (no. 4) should be understand)

Can you confirm this?

Related to Kohn Sham, calculation of electronic density

1. What is the Kohn Sham method?

The Kohn Sham method is a computational approach used in density functional theory (DFT) to calculate the electronic density of a system. It is based on the idea of solving a set of equations that resemble the Schrödinger equation for a non-interacting system, but with an effective potential that takes into account the electron-electron interactions.

2. How does the Kohn Sham method work?

The Kohn Sham method involves breaking down the electronic density of a system into smaller, non-interacting parts. These parts are then solved using the Kohn Sham equations, which are similar to the Schrödinger equation. The resulting electronic density is then used to calculate various properties of the system, such as the energy and electron distribution.

3. What is the purpose of calculating the electronic density using the Kohn Sham method?

The electronic density is a key property in understanding the behavior and properties of a system. By using the Kohn Sham method to calculate the electronic density, scientists can gain insights into the electronic structure, bonding, and reactivity of a system. This information is crucial in various fields such as materials science, chemistry, and physics.

4. What are the advantages of using the Kohn Sham method over other methods?

The Kohn Sham method is computationally efficient and can be used to calculate the electronic density of large systems. It also takes into account the electron-electron interactions, making it more accurate than other non-interacting methods. Additionally, the Kohn Sham method can be applied to a wide range of systems, from molecules to solids.

5. What are some limitations of the Kohn Sham method?

One limitation of the Kohn Sham method is that it relies on approximations for the exchange-correlation functional, which can affect the accuracy of the results. It also assumes that the system is in a ground state, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the Kohn Sham method does not account for relativistic effects, making it less suitable for systems with heavy elements.