Knowing the frequency of light

In summary: It's interesting to think about how our biology has shaped how we perceive colors. For example, some of us are better at seeing greens than others.One way to measure the color of a light is to use a grating and look at the wavelength of the light that passes through it. You can use a table to find the frequency of different colors.
jalalmalo
I was watching a movie talking about the hydrogen atom and the study of spectrum from hydrogen gas when a question poped into my head. How can we know the frequency of light from observing its colour? Please give example of experiments done to confirm that.

Thank you all in advance

Science news on Phys.org
The easiest way is to simply use a grating to measure the wavelength and then calculate the frequency using f=c/lambda.

This experiment will obviously not measure the colour directly, simply because colour is just how we percieve light (and then only in the visible spectrum); it is not "physical".

Hence, the only way to relate frequency and colour is to first measure the frequency and then ask someone what colour the light is. There are plenty of tables where you can find this information.

Great points, f95toli! When I first read the post, I was confused because I thought, "well, the definition of color is its frequency." But of course, color is a very anthropocentric thing.

It's interesting to point out that we don't all have identical biology, and so we don't all perceive colors the same way. Most of us have three different kinds of detectors to disambiguate colors, but some folks have only two or even one. A handful of lucky women on the planet actually have four, and I wonder what it must look like to see through their eyes.

Not to mention: Many colors, some of which we humans perceive as distinct colors in their own right, like white and magenta, don't correspond to any single frequency.

The human range of perceptible colors is usually pictured on a chromaticity diagram that looks like http://www.ladyada.net/learn/proj1/542px-CIExy1931_CIERGB.png" (which is only an approximation since your computer monitor only reproduces a smaller area inside the diagram).

The single-wavelength (monochromatic) colors of the visible spectrum follow the outer curved edge, with the inside being mixtures of those wavelengths. In the middle near the bottom you find white, a mix of red, green and blue. (Or cyan-magenta-yellow!)

You can also see that there are a lot more 'greens' than any other color - we're most sensitive to green light. (The diagram is, roughly 'perceptually uniform', meaning that the same distance anywhere the diagram corresponds the the same perceived amount of difference in color. It's not quite apparent though since, again, your monitor doesn't actually reproduce the entire thing).

Last edited by a moderator:
alxm said:
You can also see that there are a lot more 'greens' than any other color - we're most sensitive to green light. (The diagram is, roughly 'perceptually uniform', meaning that the same distance anywhere the diagram corresponds the the same perceived amount of difference in color. It's not quite apparent though since, again, your monitor doesn't actually reproduce the entire thing).

That's fascinating, I didn't know that. I wonder if we're so good at seeing greens because so much of what we can eat and not eat is green. Those ancestors who were good at telling the difference, and identifying ripe stuff might have had an advantage.

Related to Knowing the frequency of light

1. What is the frequency of light?

The frequency of light refers to the number of waves that pass through a specific point in one second. It is measured in units of Hertz (Hz) or cycles per second.

2. How is the frequency of light related to its color?

The frequency of light is directly related to its color. Light with a higher frequency appears more blue or violet, while light with a lower frequency appears more red or orange. This is because different colors have different wavelengths, and frequency and wavelength are inversely proportional.

3. How is the frequency of light determined?

The frequency of light can be determined by dividing the speed of light (3.00 x 10^8 m/s) by the wavelength of the light. This relationship is represented by the equation f = c/λ, where f is frequency, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength.

4. Can the frequency of light be changed?

Yes, the frequency of light can be changed. This can be achieved through processes such as refraction, where light passes through a medium and its frequency is altered, or through the use of filters, which can block certain frequencies of light.

5. Why is it important to know the frequency of light?

Knowing the frequency of light is important in many fields of science, including optics, astronomy, and telecommunications. It helps us understand how light behaves and interacts with different materials, and allows us to develop technologies that utilize different frequencies of light for various purposes.