Knock out tournament to find first places

• Thread starter Gerenuk
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the desire for a scheduling system to determine the top players in a tournament. Different types of tournaments, including a simple knock out and a double elimination, are mentioned. The conversation also mentions Sloane's A036604 and A001768 and the use of merge sort to determine the top players. The desire for a system with a minimum number of games and the potential for simultaneous games is also mentioned.
Gerenuk
Does anyone know a system how to schedule a tournament in order to find the top k players?

In each game two players play and one comes out as a winner. I assume that each player has a definite strength and always the stronger player wins. Each day each player can play one game and all players can play simultaneously.
I'd like to find a system where in the end tells me the top ranked players with their order.

A simple knock out tournament gives the top player.
A double elimination tournament can tell places 1-4, but already some care in the pairing has to be taken to ensure the knowledge of 4th place?!
Is there a general scheduling system?

I'd like to make it mathematically correct, rather than some common systems which give incorrect 4th places.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think this is a very hard problem, in general. If you have such a schedule, it's trivial to find Sloane's A036604, the minimum number of games that need to be played in the worst case: 0, 1, 3, 5, 7, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22, 26, 30, 34, 38, ...

If you're willing to accept a higher number of games than the theoretical minimum, merge sort seems pretty good. In particular, for up to 14 teams/elements, it's optimal. See Sloane's A001768.

I tried estimating the number of games with some logic. which basically boils down to using log_2 :)
I know merge sort from computer algorithms, but it sorts all the elements? I only need the top k. Maybe places 1-4 or 1-6 or whatever.
Also for my purposes I only want to have the minimum numbers of days so it's OK if some superfluous games are played simultaneously one day if that makes the system easier.

Interesting things about merge sort and 14 teams. Thanks :)

Related to Knock out tournament to find first places

1. What is a knock out tournament to find first places?

A knock out tournament to find first places is a type of competition where participants compete against each other in a series of matches. The losing team or player is eliminated from the tournament, until there is only one team or player left, who is declared the winner and first place.

2. How does a knock out tournament work?

In a knock out tournament, teams or players are paired up and compete against each other in a series of matches. The winning team or player moves on to the next round, while the losing team or player is eliminated. This process continues until there is only one team or player left, who is declared the winner and first place.

3. What are the advantages of a knock out tournament?

A knock out tournament is a fair and efficient way to determine the first place winner, as it eliminates the possibility of ties and allows for a clear winner to emerge. It also adds an element of excitement and pressure, as each match is crucial and can result in elimination.

4. What are the disadvantages of a knock out tournament?

One disadvantage of a knock out tournament is that a strong team or player may be eliminated early on due to an unlucky match or bad performance. This can result in an undeserving winner. Additionally, the format may not allow for all participants to play an equal number of matches.

5. Are there variations of knock out tournaments?

Yes, there are variations of knock out tournaments such as double elimination, round-robin, and single elimination with a consolation bracket. These variations may provide a second chance for teams or players who have been eliminated, or allow for more matches to be played. Each variation has its own rules and format.