Klein-Gordon Field: Understanding Eq. (1)

In summary, the conversation discusses the interpretation of the real scalar field in Quantum Field Theory, specifically in relation to creating particles with momentum at a given point. The equality in question (1) is not fully understood and compared to expression (2), which includes the term a_p e^{ipx}. It is clarified that in the free KG field, a_p and a^{\dagger}_p act independently and the term a_p does not destroy the particle created by a^{\dagger}_p.
grimx
Hi everyone! Im' a new member and I'm studying Quantum Field Theory.

I read this:

"The interpretation of the real scalar field is that it creates a particle (boson) with momentum p at the point x."

and :

[itex]\phi[/itex][itex]\left(x\right)[/itex] [itex]\left|0\right\rangle[/itex] = [itex]\int \frac{d^3p}{(2\pi)^3(2\varpi_p)}[/itex] [itex]e^{-ipx} |p\rangle[/itex] (1)

but I didn't understand this equality... i know that:

[itex]\phi (x) = \int \frac{d^3p}{(2\pi)^3(2\varpi_p)} (a_p e^{ipx} + a^+_p e^{-ipx})[/itex] (2)

So... where it goes the term [itex]a_p e^{ipx}[/itex] in the expression (1) ?

Can someone kindly show me all the steps?
I know it's a stupid question, but I can not understand.

thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
The vacuum is annihilated by ##a_p## by definition.

Thank you for your reply.
But in theory... [itex]a_p[/itex] it should not destroy the particle created by [itex]a^+_p[/itex]??

What am I doing wrong? :confused:

Thank you.

We don't have ##a_p a^{\dagger}_p## in the free KG field. We have ##a_p## attached to the negative frequency modes and ##a^{\dagger}_p## attached to the positive frequency modes so they act independently of one another.

As such ##\phi(x)|0\rangle## simply creates a particle at ##x##.

Thanks! :)

Related to Klein-Gordon Field: Understanding Eq. (1)

1. What is the Klein-Gordon field?

The Klein-Gordon field is a mathematical description of a quantum field that follows the Klein-Gordon equation, which is a relativistic wave equation. It describes the behavior of particles with spin zero, such as scalar particles.

2. What is the significance of Eq. (1) in understanding the Klein-Gordon field?

Eq. (1) is the Klein-Gordon equation, which is the fundamental equation that governs the behavior of the Klein-Gordon field. It allows us to calculate the evolution of the field over time and understand how particles behave within the field.

3. How is the Klein-Gordon field related to quantum mechanics?

The Klein-Gordon field is a key concept in quantum field theory, which is a framework that combines quantum mechanics and special relativity. It allows us to understand how particles with spin zero behave at a quantum level.

4. What are the applications of the Klein-Gordon field?

The Klein-Gordon field has many applications in theoretical physics, including in the study of elementary particles, quantum field theory, and cosmology. It has also been used to describe scalar fields in condensed matter systems.

5. What are the limitations of the Klein-Gordon field?

The Klein-Gordon field is limited in its ability to describe particles with spin other than zero. It also does not take into account the effects of quantum electrodynamics, which is necessary for a complete understanding of the behavior of particles with spin.