Klein Gordon eqn, decoupling degrees of freedom

In summary, the conversation is about finding a way to decouple the degrees of freedom in the Klein Gordon equation for a real scalar field. The solution involves taking a Fourier transform and using the linearity of the terms to show that each term must be identically 0. This helps in getting rid of the integrals in the equation.
Onamor
Having some trouble following my notes in QFT. Any help greatly appreciated.

We have the Klein Gordon equation for a real scalar field [itex]\phi\left(\overline{x},t\right)[/itex]; [itex]\partial_{\mu}\partial^{\mu}\phi + m^{2}\phi = 0[/itex].

To exhibit the coordinates in which the degrees of freedom decouple from each other, we take the Fourier transform, [itex]\phi\left(\overline{x},t\right)= \int\frac{d^{3}p}{\left(2\pi\right)^{3}}e^{i \overline{p} .\overline{x}}\phi\left(\overline{p},t\right)[/itex].

Then [itex]\phi\left(\overline{p},t\right)[/itex] satisfies [itex]\left(\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial t^{2}}+\left(\overline{p}^{2} + m^{2}\right)\right)\phi\left(\overline{p},t\right) = 0[/itex].

If you do it by brute force you get [itex]\int\frac{d^{3}p}{\left(2\pi\right)^{3}}e^{ i \overline{p} .\overline{x}}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial t^{2}}\phi\left(\overline{p},t\right) - \int\frac{d^{3}p}{\left(2\pi\right)^{3}}\partial^{2}_{i}e^{ i \overline{p} . \overline{x}}\phi\left(\overline{p},t\right) + m^{2}\int\frac{d^{3}p}{\left(2\pi\right)^{3}}e^{ i \overline{p} . \overline{x}}\phi\left(\overline{p},t\right) = 0[/itex]

then [itex]\int\frac{d^{3}p}{\left(2\pi\right)^{3}}e^{ i \overline{p} .\overline{x}}\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial t^{2}}\phi\left(\overline{p},t\right) + \int\frac{d^{3}p}{\left(2\pi\right)^{3}} \overline{p}^{2} e^{ i \overline{p} . \overline{x}}\phi\left(\overline{p},t\right) + m^{2}\int\frac{d^{3}p}{\left(2\pi\right)^{3}}e^{ i \overline{p} . \overline{x}}\phi\left(\overline{p},t\right) = 0[/itex]

Now I don't see how to get rid of the intergrals. I can see its similar to a delta function, but you can't just take the [itex]\phi\left(\overline{p},t\right)[/itex] out of the integrals because the measure is [itex]p[/itex].

Thanks for helping me with this, please let me know if I haven't been clear.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your last line can be rewritten as
[itex]\int\frac{d^{3}p}{\left(2\pi\right)^{3}}[\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial t^{2}}\phi\left(\overline{p},t\right) + \overline{p}^{2} \phi\left(\overline{p},t\right) + m^{2}\phi\left(\overline{p},t\right)]e^{ i \overline{p} .\overline{x}} = 0[/itex]
Each term of e^{ip.x} is linearly independent (as they form a basis) and thus each term must be identically 0, giving the desired relation. Identically you can say the Fourier transform of [itex]\frac{\partial^{2}}{\partial t^{2}}\phi\left(\overline{p},t\right) + \overline{p}^{2} \phi\left(\overline{p},t\right) + m^{2}\phi\left(\overline{p},t\right)[/itex] is 0. So it must be 0 as well.

Ah, that's why. Thanks very much, much appreciated.

Related to Klein Gordon eqn, decoupling degrees of freedom

1. What is the Klein Gordon equation?

The Klein Gordon equation is a relativistic quantum mechanical equation that describes the evolution of a scalar field in space and time. It was first proposed by physicist Oskar Klein and Walter Gordon in 1926.

2. What does it mean to decouple degrees of freedom in the Klein Gordon equation?

Decoupling degrees of freedom in the Klein Gordon equation refers to separating the equation into two independent equations for the real and imaginary parts of the field, thus simplifying the overall equation and making it easier to solve.

3. Why is decoupling degrees of freedom important in the Klein Gordon equation?

Decoupling degrees of freedom is important because it allows us to study the dynamics of a system in a simpler and more manageable way. It also helps to reveal important physical properties and symmetries of the system.

4. How is decoupling degrees of freedom achieved in the Klein Gordon equation?

Decoupling degrees of freedom in the Klein Gordon equation can be achieved through a mathematical process called separation of variables. This involves expressing the field as a product of two functions, each of which only depends on one variable (usually time and space).

5. What are some applications of the Klein Gordon equation and decoupling degrees of freedom?

The Klein Gordon equation and decoupling degrees of freedom have many applications in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of particle physics, quantum field theory, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in other fields such as cosmology, condensed matter physics, and mathematical physics.