Kirchoff's current law question

In summary, the derivation of a band pass filter circuit involves a capacitor and resistor in parallel from the non-inverting input to the output. The current through the capacitor is equal to the difference between the incoming current and the current going through the resistor. However, this depends on the standardization of current, which can be defined as either the direction of holes or the opposite of electron flow. Ultimately, Ic + Ir = I, and it is important to clarify which definition of current is being used in order to properly understand the derivation.
bitrex
I'm looking at the derivation of a band pass filter circuit, and part of the circuit is a capacitor and resistor in parallel from the non-inverting input to the output. My thinking is that the current through the capacitor is going to be the current coming in (since the inverting input draws no current) minus the current going through the resistor, or Ic = I - Ir. Nope, the derivation has it the other way, Ic = Ir - I. I can't figure out why this is.

Engineering news on Phys.org
depends on the standardization of current. If current is defined as direction holes travel in, than it follows passive sign convention whereas, current is usually defined as direction opposite of electron flow. I see your point. Ic + Ir = I so
Ic = I - Ir...

I can explain the reasoning behind the derivation of Kirchoff's current law in this situation. Kirchoff's current law states that the sum of currents entering and exiting a node in a circuit must be equal. In this band pass filter circuit, the non-inverting input is considered a node.

When looking at the current through the capacitor, it is important to consider the direction of the current. Since the non-inverting input draws no current, the current entering the node is equal to the current exiting the node. This means that the current through the capacitor, Ic, must be equal to the current going through the resistor, Ir, minus the current coming in, I. This can also be written as Ic = Ir - I.

The reason for this is that the current through a capacitor is in the opposite direction of the voltage change across it. In this circuit, the voltage change across the capacitor is the same as the voltage change across the resistor, but in the opposite direction. Therefore, the current through the capacitor must also be in the opposite direction of the current through the resistor.

I hope this explanation helps clarify the derivation of Kirchoff's current law in this particular circuit.

Related to Kirchoff's current law question

1. What is Kirchoff's current law?

Kirchoff's current law, also known as the first law of Kirchoff or Kirchoff's junction rule, states that the total current flowing into a junction in a circuit is equal to the total current flowing out of that junction. In other words, the sum of all currents entering a junction is equal to the sum of all currents leaving that junction.

2. Why is Kirchoff's current law important?

Kirchoff's current law is important because it is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis. It allows us to understand and analyze complex circuits by simplifying them into smaller parts. Additionally, it helps us to ensure that the conservation of charge is obeyed in a circuit.

3. How is Kirchoff's current law applied in circuit analysis?

Kirchoff's current law is applied by setting up equations at each junction in a circuit. The sum of all currents entering the junction is set equal to the sum of all currents leaving the junction. These equations can then be solved simultaneously to find the unknown currents in the circuit.

4. Can Kirchoff's current law be violated?

No, Kirchoff's current law cannot be violated. It is a fundamental law of physics and is based on the principle of conservation of charge. If the law appears to be violated in a circuit, it is likely due to measurement errors or incorrect assumptions about the circuit components.

5. What are some real-world applications of Kirchoff's current law?

Kirchoff's current law has numerous real-world applications, including in the design and analysis of electrical circuits, electronic devices, and power systems. It is also used in industries such as telecommunications, transportation, and renewable energy to ensure the efficient and safe functioning of their systems.