Kinetic-Molecular Model of Ideal Gas: vrms/vav

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the average x-component of velocity, the average speed, and the root mean square of the velocity based on a set of measured velocities in a gas experiment. The solution involves taking the average for the x-component of velocity, taking the absolute values and averaging them for the average speed, and using the formula for root mean square of the velocities. The conversation also briefly mentions the connection to rms in electronics and the mathematical formula for calculating it.
verd
Hey,

This should be a pretty simple problem to answer... I'm just a bit confused on this, and want to make sure I'm right. It's an easy problem:

Molecules in a gas can only move in the x direction (i.e., [tex]v_{y}=v_{z}=0)[/tex]. You set up an experiment in which you measure the velocity of a few molecules and the result that you obtain is the following (expressed in m/s):

2, -4, 6, 1, -3, -2, -5, 2, -1, 4, 3, -5

Calculate: a) the average x-component of the velocity [tex](v_{x})_{av}[/tex], b) the average speed [tex](v)_{av}[/tex], and c) the root mean square of the velocity [tex]v_{rms}[/tex]For a), the x-component of velocity is literally just the average, right? No absolute values b/c we're not talking about speed here.

For b) because I'm being asked for the average speed, here is where I take the absolute values of all of these and average them together, right?

For c) This is where I'm most confused... Here, wouldn't I just square what I got for b) and then take the square root of it? That seems to make absolutley no sense. Would I then use the formula below?I noticed something in the book: [tex](v_{x}^2)_{av}, (v_{y}^2)_{av}, (v_{z}^2)_{av}[/tex] must all be equal. Hence: [tex](v_{x}^2)_{av} = \displaystyle{\frac{1}{3}}(v^2)_{av}[/tex]

This wouldn't apply for this situation, correct? As the y and the z components are 0, right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Its been a while since I did some gas theory, but isn't the rms of the velocities, simply [tex]v_{rms} = \frac{A}{\sqrt{2}} [/tex] (A = Ans to part b.)
Don't quote me on that, I'm not sure, but I think its right since rms voltage in electronics is defined in a similar way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for responding, heh

I don't quite understand why you get that, could you explain it further?
(I'm not doubting you, I just don't understand)

Thanks again

Bump, please...?

Would this be the same as the root-mean-square in mathematics?

[tex]\sqrt{\displaystyle{\frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n}x^2}{n}}}[/tex]

So my problem would look like this:
[tex]\sqrt{\displaystyle{\frac{2^2+(-4)^2+6^2+1^2+(-3)^2+(-2)^2+(-5)^2+2^2+(-1)^2+4^2+3^2+(-5)^2}{12}}}[/tex]

Is this correct?

Related to Kinetic-Molecular Model of Ideal Gas: vrms/vav

1. What is the Kinetic-Molecular Model of Ideal Gas?

The Kinetic-Molecular Model of Ideal Gas is a theoretical model that describes the behavior of ideal gases based on the motion of their individual molecules. It assumes that the molecules are in constant, random motion and do not interact with each other.

2. What does the term "vrms" refer to in the Kinetic-Molecular Model?

"vrms" stands for the root mean square velocity, which is the square root of the average of the squared velocities of the gas molecules. It is a measure of the average speed of the gas molecules.

3. How is the average velocity (vav) related to the root mean square velocity (vrms) in the Kinetic-Molecular Model?

In the Kinetic-Molecular Model, the average velocity (vav) is equal to the root mean square velocity (vrms) multiplied by the square root of three (vav = √3vrms). This means that the average velocity is always greater than the root mean square velocity.

4. What factors affect the root mean square velocity (vrms) in the Kinetic-Molecular Model?

The root mean square velocity is affected by the temperature and mass of the gas molecules. As temperature increases, so does the average kinetic energy of the molecules, resulting in a higher vrms. Heavier molecules also have a lower vrms compared to lighter molecules at the same temperature.

5. How does the Kinetic-Molecular Model explain the relationship between temperature and pressure in gases?

The Kinetic-Molecular Model states that as temperature increases, the average kinetic energy and therefore the average velocity of gas molecules also increases. This results in more frequent and forceful collisions between the molecules and the container walls, leading to an increase in pressure. As temperature decreases, the opposite occurs and pressure decreases.