Kinetic energy & speed in a pursuit - Ek possible to find?

In summary: It's rude and disrespectful. In summary, the cat's kinetic energy cannot be determined given the information provided in the question. The answer is expressed as 140 times the kinetic energy of the mouse, but the actual value of the cat's kinetic energy cannot be found.
Tyrannosaurus_

Homework Statement

A cat is chasing a mouse in a straight line. The cat's mass, mc, = 5.0kg. The mouse's mass, mm, is 0.035kg.

Problem 1. If the kinetic energy of the cat is 100 times the kinetic energy of the mouse can the cat catch the mouse?

Problem 2. If the cat and the mouse have the same speed, what is the kinetic energy of the cat?

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy. Kinetic energy = (1/2)mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

Solution for Problem 1.

Ekc = (100)Ekm
(1/2)mcvc2 = (100)(1/2)mmvm2
mcvc2 = (100)mmvm2
vc2 = [(100)mmvm2] / mc
vc2 = [ (100)(0.035kg)vm2 ] / 5.0kg
vc2 = (7/10) vm2
vc = (7/10)(1/2) vm
vc ≅ 0.83 vm

Therefore, the cat cannot catch the mouse. The cat's speed is 83% of the mouse's speed

{Is the result correct? Is my therefore statement correct? Is this the proper interpretation of the result?}

Solution for Problem 2. - If the speed of the cat is the speed of the mouse what is the cat's kinetic energy?

vc = vm
[(2Ekc)/mc](1/2) = [(2Ekm)/mm](1/2)
Ekc/mc = Ekm/mm
Ekc = mc Ekm / mm
Ekc = {mc (1/2mmvm2)} / mm
Ekc = (1/2) mcvm2
Ekc = 2.5kg vm2
Ekc = How can I find this value? All of the known problem info. is stated.

The correct answer according the answer page of the text is "140 times."

What approach should I take to solving this problem.

Many thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
For the second problem why don't you express the velocities as the same variable and then solve for Ec

rpthomps said:
For the second problem why don't you express the velocities as the same variable and then solve for Ec

Is your suggestion different from how I started the solution? vc = vm I do not understand your suggestion.

vc = vm
Ekc/mc = Ekm/mm

You have the answer here! Just plug in the values for m and solve for E cat!

Ekc is 2.5 * "speed of mouse" squared. What do i use for the speed of the mouse?

rpthomps said:
vc = vm
Ekc/mc = Ekm/mm
Ekc = mc Ekm / mm

Look at the last line of the expression I just quoted, that you generated. Do you see velocity there?

The kinetic energy of the mouse, Ekm, is unknown! The velocity of the mouse is unknown! Only the mass of each body is known!

Clearly you're far too brilliant for me! What is the value of Ekc?

Ek_cat=(m_cat/m_mouse)xEk_mouse
Ek_cat=(5/0.035)xEk_mouse
Ek_cat = 140xEk_mouse

rpthomps said:
Ek_cat=(m_cat/m_mouse)xEk_mouse
Ek_cat=(5/0.035)xEk_mouse
Ek_cat = 140xEk_mouse

So, like I said, "how do I find the value?"

Thanks for your effort. In the future, save both of our time by confirming my solution. Ek cat is unknown! It might be expressed in terms of Ek mouse, but Ek cat's value is, like I asked, not possible to be found.

Wow. I wasn't expecting that response. I wasn't trying to save you time. I was trying to help you get to the answer yourself, which is infinitely more valuable than having me just solve the question myself or just confirming your answer. The solution that you yourself indicated is not in itself a value but rather a multiplication of another one. You said the answer was 140 times! 140 times what? Well, 140 times the kinetic energy of the mouse. It is impossible to find the value of the cat's KE given the information of the question.

In the future, don't lambast people who are trying to help you.

Related to Kinetic energy & speed in a pursuit - Ek possible to find?

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated by the mass of the object multiplied by its velocity squared.

2. How is kinetic energy related to speed?

Kinetic energy is directly proportional to the speed of an object. This means that as the speed of an object increases, its kinetic energy also increases.

3. Can kinetic energy be negative?

No, kinetic energy cannot be negative. It is always a positive value because it represents the energy of an object in motion.

4. How is kinetic energy used in a pursuit?

In a pursuit, kinetic energy is used to determine the speed of the pursuer and the pursued. The pursuer must have a higher kinetic energy in order to catch up to the pursued.

5. Is it possible to find Ek in a pursuit?

Yes, it is possible to find Ek (kinetic energy) in a pursuit by using the equation Ek = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. This can help determine the speed and energy of the pursuer and the pursued in a pursuit scenario.