Kinetic energy of a disk that turn around 2 axis

In summary, the formula 1/2md²Wa²+1/2mr²(Wa−Wb)² is being discussed in relation to the kinetic energy of a disk with radius 'r', mass 'm', rotating around itself at Wb and around an axis at a distance 'd'. It is noted that the prefactor for the second term of the formula is incorrect and is valid for a ring, not a disk. A demonstration is provided to support this claim and it is suggested to look up the moment of inertia of a ring or disk for further understanding.
V711
I would like to know if kinetics energy of a disk with radius 'r', mass 'm' which turn around itself at Wb (relative rotation) and which turn around blue axis at distance 'd' is :

1/2md²Wa²+1/2mr²(Wa−Wb)² ?

With Wa > Wb

Look at image please.

Attachments

• xd1.png
    xd1.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 503
Physics news on Phys.org
The prefactor for the second term looks wrong. That would correspond to a ring instead of a disk.

A disk is not a sum of rings ? What is the result for a disk ? I'm looking for a link but it's very difficult to find on Internet

A disk can be described as a sum of rings of different radius, but it is not a ring with radius r. Check its moment of inertia.

But you're sure my formula is for a ring ?

It is valid for a ring. It is valid for other shapes as well, but not for your disk. The prefactor is wrong.

Have you a link where I can find formulas for different shapes ?

Ok, but I don't find the formula: 1/2md²Wa²+1/2mr²(Wa−Wb)²

I would like to find the demonstration of this formula to be sure it is correct at least for a ring.

The point was that Google can find the moment of inertia of a ring or of a disc. ##mr^2## is the moment of inertia of a ring of mass m and radius r.

A demonstration I find convincing is to imagine that one is applying the work necessary to spin this arrangement up.

Start with the rod locked in place and spin up the disk to a rotation rate of ##\omega_a - \omega_b##. How much energy does that take? It should be ##\frac{I_b(\omega_a - \omega_b)^2}{2}##. Where ##I_b## is the moment of inertia of a disk or ring of radius r. (Which you can look up on Google)

Now unlock the rod and spin it up to a rotation rate of ##\omega_a##. Because the pivot on which the disk/ring is mounted is frictionless and mounted at the center of mass of the disk/ring, the energy required to do this is independent of the size, shape or rotation rate of the object on the end of the rod. It depends only on the disk/ring's mass. How much energy is this? It should be ##\frac{I_a\omega_a^2}{2}## where ##I_a## is the moment of inertia of a mass at a distance d. By definition, that's ##md^2##.

Having done this, the relative rotation rate of the disk or ring with respect to the rod will be ##-\omega_b## and we are in the correct final configuration. The energy in the configuration is the total of the energy that went into spinning it up.

There is no requirement that ##\omega_a \gt \omega_b##. The formula works regardless.

V711 said:
Ok, but I don't find the formula: 1/2md²Wa²+1/2mr²(Wa−Wb)²
There is also no formula for tons of other cases. All the discussion here was about a specific part of the formula. And there is a formula for the moment of inertia of a spinning disk. And somewhere on that page or linked pages you can also find the formula for the energy of a spinning disk. Put both together with the angular velocity you found and you'll see the second term of your formula has a wrong prefactor.

Related to Kinetic energy of a disk that turn around 2 axis

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

2. How is the kinetic energy of a disk calculated?

The kinetic energy of a disk can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * I * ω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity.

3. How does a disk's kinetic energy change when it turns around 2 axes?

The kinetic energy of a disk remains the same regardless of the number of axes it turns around. However, the direction and magnitude of the angular velocity may change, affecting the disk's rotational kinetic energy.

4. Can the kinetic energy of a disk be negative?

No, kinetic energy is always a positive quantity as it represents the energy of an object in motion. If the disk is not moving, it will have zero kinetic energy.

5. How does the kinetic energy of a disk affect its overall energy?

The kinetic energy of a disk is a type of mechanical energy, which is a form of energy that an object possesses due to its motion or position. The kinetic energy of a disk contributes to its overall mechanical energy, along with any potential energy it may have.