Kinetic energy of 3 rolling objects

In summary, the question is asking about the kinetic energy of three objects (a solid cylinder, solid sphere, and a hoop) after they roll down an incline with equal radii and mass. The correct answer for Part 1 is E) None of the above answers are correct, as the final kinetic energy for all three objects will be equal due to conservation of energy. In Part 2, a difference in radii will not affect the answer, but a difference in mass will.
twerkit

Homework Statement

Part 1:

Three objects, a solid cylinder, solid sphere, and a hoop all have equal radii and mass. They all roll down the same incline. Which of the following statements is true about the kinetic energy K
of the of the objects after they have rolled down the incline and reached the bottom?

A) K-hoop > K-cylinder
B) K-hoop > K-sphere
C) K-cylinder > K-hoop
D) K-sphere > K-cylinder
E) None of the above answers are correct

Part 2:

If the radii of the three objects differed, would the above answer still hold true? What about if the masses differed?

Homework Equations

None directly provided for this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

**the "i's" stand for initial and "f's" stand for final**

Since the system is isolated and there is no friction energy is conserved, so

PE + KE = C (constant)

Taking derivative:

ΔPE + ΔKE = 0

PEf - PEi = 0 - mgh

ΔPE = -mgh

KEf - KEi = mgh - 0

ΔKE = mgh

Since the final potential energy is 0, the final KE = mgh. The only parameters for the energy in this situation are the objects' masses and the height of the ramp, so I believe the answer to Part 1 is:
E) None are correct

And for part 2, since the only parameters for the KE are mass and height, a difference in the radii will not change the answer to Part 1, but a difference in the masses will.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is no answer key for this problem, so I am checking to see if my answer is correct. If not please let me know what I did wrong. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds good to me.

Related to Kinetic energy of 3 rolling objects

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is defined as the energy that an object has because of its movement, and is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object.

How is kinetic energy calculated?

The formula for kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity. This means that kinetic energy is directly proportional to both mass and velocity.

What is the relationship between kinetic energy and rolling objects?

When an object is rolling, it has both translational and rotational kinetic energy. Translational kinetic energy is the energy due to the object's linear motion, while rotational kinetic energy is the energy due to its rotation. The total kinetic energy of a rolling object is the sum of these two forms of energy.

How does the kinetic energy of a rolling object change over time?

According to the law of conservation of energy, the total kinetic energy of a rolling object will remain constant as long as there is no external force acting on it. This means that the kinetic energy will not change over time unless there is a change in mass or velocity.

What factors can affect the kinetic energy of a rolling object?

The kinetic energy of a rolling object can be affected by its mass, velocity, and surface on which it is rolling. For example, a heavier object will have more kinetic energy than a lighter object with the same velocity. Additionally, a rough surface will slow down the object and decrease its kinetic energy, while a smooth surface will allow the object to maintain its velocity and kinetic energy.