Kinetic energy during energy levels

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving energy levels and an electron collision. The question asks which energy levels may be occupied after the collision, and the solution involves calculating the kinetic energy needed to escape the ground state. The conclusion is that the electron can't reach level D, and it is possible for it to reach levels B or C.
aurao2003

Homework Statement

hi
this is a problem that puzzles me. it goes like this:
energy/10–18 J
ionisation level 0.0
level D
level C
level B
ground state A
–1.9
–2.1
–2.4
– 4.6

An electron with kinetic energy 2.6 × 10–18 J collides inelastically with an electron
in the ground state.
State which energy levels may be occupied following this collision.

Homework Equations

e= h1 - h2

The Attempt at a Solution

i looked at the kinetic energy needed to escape the ground state. if i calculate 4.6-2.6, i get 2j of kinetic energy. the electron can't get to level d. will b to c be correct?

please comment.

Physics news on Phys.org
you are correct

thanks. so the level i am considering is kind of a range of where the kinetic energy falls into?

Related to Kinetic energy during energy levels

What is kinetic energy during energy levels?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. During energy levels, kinetic energy refers to the energy an object has as a result of its position and movement within a specific energy level.

How is kinetic energy related to energy levels?

Kinetic energy is directly related to energy levels. As an object moves within an energy level, its kinetic energy increases. This is because the object's motion is a form of energy, and the higher the energy level, the more energy is required for the object to stay in motion.

What factors affect kinetic energy during energy levels?

The main factors that affect kinetic energy during energy levels are the mass and velocity of the object. The greater the mass and velocity, the higher the kinetic energy will be.

Can kinetic energy be converted to other forms of energy during energy levels?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted to other forms of energy during energy levels. For example, if an object collides with another object, the kinetic energy of the first object will transfer to the second object, increasing its kinetic energy. Additionally, as an object moves within an energy level, it may also convert some of its kinetic energy into potential energy.

How is kinetic energy measured during energy levels?

Kinetic energy is measured using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. The resulting unit for kinetic energy is joules (J).