Kinetic Energy Dissipation in a Colliding System

In summary, two hockey pucks, A and B, collide on a smooth surface of ice. Puck A, initially traveling at 40.0 m/s, is deflected 30.0 degrees from its original direction and acquires a velocity at a 45.0 degree angle to its original direction. Puck B acquires a velocity at a 45.0 degree angle to the original direction of A. The pucks have the same mass and the question asks for the fraction of the original kinetic energy of puck A that dissipates during the collision. The equation ((KEf-KEi)/KEi) can be used to solve for this fraction, which should be approximately 50%.
tater08

Homework Statement

A hockey puck B rests on a smooth surface of ice and is struck by a second puck A , which was originally traveling at 40.0 m/s and which is deflected 30.0 degrees from its original direction. Puck B acquires a velocity at a 45.0 degree angle to the original direction of A . The pucks have the same mass.

what fraction of the orignal kinetic energy of puck A dissipates during the collision.

Homework Equations

(Delta K) /K
KE=0.5 mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i was able to solve for the velocity of both block a and b. But now i can't seem to figure out the original kinetic energy. I do not know where to go with the masses being the same.
Va=29.3 m/s
Vb=20.7

Physics news on Phys.org
You can express the kinetic energy in terms of the unknown mass "m", and go from there.

(Kei-Kef)/ KEi = ((1-(m1/m1+m)) KEi)/KEI = M2/m1+M2 1/ (1+1) KE should be 0.5 or 50 percent. But this is the wrong answer And I'm Totally lost. thanks for any help that i may receive.

I figured it out. 1-(KEf-KEi)/KEI is basically the equation to use.

Related to Kinetic Energy Dissipation in a Colliding System

1. What is kinetic energy dissipation?

Kinetic energy dissipation is the conversion of kinetic energy into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound, through physical processes like friction or collisions.

2. Why is kinetic energy dissipation important?

Kinetic energy dissipation plays a crucial role in many natural and man-made processes, such as energy transfer in mechanical systems and heat generation in chemical reactions. It also helps to explain the behavior of objects in motion.

3. How is kinetic energy dissipation calculated?

The amount of kinetic energy dissipated can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. This formula represents the initial kinetic energy of the object before dissipation.

4. What factors affect the rate of kinetic energy dissipation?

The rate of kinetic energy dissipation is influenced by factors such as the surface area and texture of objects in contact, the speed of the objects, and the properties of the materials involved (e.g. coefficient of friction).

5. How can we reduce kinetic energy dissipation in systems?

One way to reduce kinetic energy dissipation is by using materials with low friction coefficients or by designing systems with smoother surfaces. Additionally, implementing lubricants or shock-absorbing materials can help to minimize the loss of kinetic energy.