Kinetic Energy and the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle

In summary, the conversation discusses a derivation and a given solution related to Heisenberg's uncertainty principle. The poster is confused about the different forms of the principle and the given solution may not be using the formal version. The conversation ends with a suggestion to plug in the approximate version of the principle into the original equation for kinetic energy.
ConorB

Homework Statement

This is not a problem as such. Just a derivation for which I've been given a solution which I cannot seem to find.

Homework Equations

Ke = 1/2 mv2 = ρ2/2m
hbar << 2ΔxΔp

Δp≈p as the average magnitude of p is small.

The Attempt at a Solution

p >> hbar/2Δx
p2 = hbar2/4(Δx)2
so p2/2m=ke=hbar2/8(Δx2)m

whereas I've been given the result that T=h2/2m(Δx2)

Physics news on Phys.org
ConorB said:

Homework Statement

This is not a problem as such. Just a derivation for which I've been given a solution which I cannot seem to find.

Homework Equations

Ke = 1/2 mv2 = ρ2/2m
hbar << 2ΔxΔp

Δp≈p as the average magnitude of p is small.

The Attempt at a Solution

p >> hbar/2Δx
p2 = hbar2/4(Δx)2
so p2/2m=ke=hbar2/8(Δx2)m

whereas I've been given the result that T=h2/2m(Δx2)
Hello ConorB,

One of the reasons that might make this confusing is the various incarnations that Heisenberg's uncertainty principle takes form.

In its most generic form, it is often expressed by

[tex] \Delta x \Delta p \approx h [/tex]

Note that the [itex] h [/itex] above is not even [itex] \hbar [/itex]. It's just the normal Planck's constant.

If you really want the formal version of Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, you'll first need to know the shape of the wave-function in question. If you know the shape of the wave-function, you can calculate the standard deviation of position, [itex] \sigma_x [/itex],and also the standard deviation of momentum, [itex] \sigma_p [/itex]. Once you have those, the ultimate version of the uncertainty principle is

[tex] \sigma_x \sigma_p \geq \frac{\hbar}{2} [/tex]

where [itex] \hbar = \frac{h}{2 \pi} [/itex]. The special case where they are equal is if the shape of the wave-function is the Gaussian shape (i.e. bell curve).

But I don't think the solution you were given used the formal version of the uncertainty principle. I'm guessing it is using the more approximate version of [itex] \Delta x \Delta p \approx h [/itex]. Starting with that, plug [itex] \Delta p [/itex] into your original equation for kinetic energy and see what happens. :smile:

Last edited:

Related to Kinetic Energy and the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its velocity, and is measured in joules (J).

What is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This is due to the fact that the act of measuring one of these properties inevitably affects the other, making it impossible to have simultaneous precise measurements of both.

How are kinetic energy and the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle related?

In classical mechanics, kinetic energy is a well-defined quantity and can be known with certainty. However, in the quantum world, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle dictates that we can never have precise knowledge of both the position and momentum of a particle, which means we cannot know its kinetic energy with certainty.

What is the significance of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle in science?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle has significant implications for our understanding of the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It has also played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics and has led to many important discoveries and advancements in the field.

How is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle used in practical applications?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is used in various practical applications such as in medical imaging and nanotechnology. It has also been used to develop technologies like the scanning tunneling microscope, which allows us to see and manipulate individual atoms. In general, it has opened up new possibilities for precision measurements and control at the atomic and subatomic levels.