Kinematics: Understanding the Range Formula

In summary, the conversation revolves around using the range formula for a kinematics question. The formula is R=(Vo^2)(Sin2(theta))/(g) and the correct answer is 9.60. However, there is confusion regarding the Sin2(28) part and it is clarified that this means sin(2 * 28 degrees) or 0.829. The conversation also includes a question about the calculator and its mode, but it is ultimately resolved that the correct answer is obtained when using Sin(2x28)=0.829.
ThomasMagnus
For a kinematics question, I am using the range formula:

R=(Vo^2)(Sin2(theta))/(g)

With my values in the equation I get: Square root of((7.80)(9.80)/(Sin2(28))
The correct answer is 9.60. I can't seem to get this answer. I believe it is the "Sin2(28)" part. What does this mean? Does this mean sin56? 2xsin28? Would you be able to explain what this means?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It means,

[tex] Range = \frac{V_o^2 \; sin(2 \theta)}{g} [/tex]

Sorry, I'm having trouble understanding. This kind of set up is new to me. I can't seem to get the correct answer when I plug it into my calculator. Does it have anything to do with the calculator being in radian or degree mode?

Thanks!

When I do it, I get 8.84, but the correct answer is supposedly 9.60

What I am asking is: how do you evaluate sin2(28)?

Thanks

ThomasMagnus said:
What I am asking is: how do you evaluate sin2(28)?

Thanks

sin(2 * 28 degrees) = 0.829

gneill said:
sin(2 * 28 degrees) = 0.829

What would be the keystrokes for the calculator?

Thanks!

Wait I got it :)

Sin(2x28)=0.829

Thanks for the help!

Related to Kinematics: Understanding the Range Formula

What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

What is the range formula?

The range formula is a mathematical equation that calculates the horizontal distance an object travels in projectile motion. It is given as R = v0²sin(2θ)/g, where R is the range, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How do you use the range formula?

To use the range formula, you must first determine the initial velocity and angle of launch of the object. Then, plug those values into the formula and solve for the range. It is important to use consistent units for all values in the formula.

What are the units of measurement for the range formula?

The range formula uses the following units: meters (m) for distance, meters per second (m/s) for velocity, and degrees (°) for angle. It is important to use these units consistently to get an accurate result.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path called a parabola, and its motion can be analyzed using kinematics and the range formula.