Kinematics: Rocket/Free Fall Problem

In summary: I then derived the equation Vf1=9.8t...I then plugged that in Xf1+Xf2=1200m and got (9.8t^2)/2 + (Vo2*t)/2=1200...I then plugged in Vo2=9.8t... I then got (9.8t^2)/2 + ((9.8t)*t)/2=1200...I then simplified and got (19.6t^2)/2=1200...I then got t=6.148...I then plugged it back in Vo2=9.8t and got Vo2=60.1256...I then plugged everything in for part 2
beauch1322

Homework Statement

A one stage booster rocket has a Xo of 0m and a Vo of 0 m/s. The rocket takes off with a constant acceleration until 5 seconds when the boosters turn off and goes into free fall. The rocket is set to explode the instant it hits it's max height. The max height is 1200m.

What is the acceleration for the first 5 seconds?
What is the Vf for the first 5 seconds?
What is the total time of flight?

Homework Equations

Xf=Xo+Vo(t)+(.5)a(t^2)
Vf=Vo+at
(Vf^2)=(Vo^2)+2a(Xf-Xo)

The Attempt at a Solution

1st Part
Xo1=0m
Xf1=Xo2=
Vo1=0m/s
Vf1=Vo2=
a1=
t1=5s

Part 2
Xo2=Xf1=
Xf2=
Vo2=Vf1=
Vf2=0
a2=-9.8 m/s^2
t2=

Also we know: Xf1+Xf2=1200m

I kept trying to get to an equation where I could boil it down to one variable but I can't seem to do it... I have used a lot of substitution, please help...

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got a good start. For part 1 you can simply say vf=a*t. Now the problem is really what I'm sure you've done over and over, just a kinematic problem with an initial velocity and height. Use that "final velocity" as an initial velocity in problem two. Then in problem two you can use the distance kinematic equation, and you can get time from the velocity kinematic equation. So on and so forth. Try it out with some confidence and come back if you're stuck.

got it. I used a m/s vs t graph and solved for Vf1... 1200= (5*Vf1)/2 + (Vf1*(Vf1/9.8))/2

Related to Kinematics: Rocket/Free Fall Problem

What is kinematics and how does it relate to rocket and free fall problems?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It deals with the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of an object. In the context of rocket and free fall problems, kinematics is used to analyze the motion of objects in a vertical direction, such as a rocket launching into the air or an object falling from a height.

What is the difference between rocket and free fall motion?

In rocket motion, the object is propelled by a force, such as the thrust of the rocket engine. This results in a constant acceleration and a non-zero initial velocity. In free fall motion, the object is only under the influence of gravity, resulting in a constant acceleration due to gravity and an initial velocity of zero.

How do we calculate the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of a rocket or falling object?

To calculate the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of a rocket or falling object, we use the equations of motion. These equations include the initial velocity, final velocity, acceleration, and time. By plugging in known values into these equations, we can solve for the unknown variables.

What factors affect the motion of a rocket or falling object?

The motion of a rocket or falling object is affected by factors such as air resistance, mass, and initial velocity. Air resistance can slow down the motion of an object, while mass and initial velocity can affect the acceleration and final velocity of the object.

How can we use kinematics to predict the motion of a rocket or falling object?

By using the equations of motion and considering the various factors that affect the motion of a rocket or falling object, we can make predictions about their displacement, velocity, and acceleration. We can also use kinematics to analyze the motion of these objects and determine the maximum height reached or the time taken to reach a certain point.