Kinematics of a particle motion equations problem

In summary, a baseball is thrown downward from a 12.5m tower with an initial speed of 4.5m/s. Using the motion equations s = ut + 0.5at^2 and v^2 = u^2 + 2as, the time of travel is calculated to be 1.194 seconds and the speed at which it hits the ground is calculated to be 16.439m/s. These values differ from the answers in the book, which are 0.597 seconds and 23.9m/s, respectively. However, the student's calculations appear to be correct and the book may contain errors.
Rob K

Homework Statement

A baseball is thrown downward from a 12.5m tower with and initial speed of 4.5m/s. Determine the speed at which it hits the ground and the time of travel.
s = 12.5m
u = 4.5m/s
a = g = 10m/s^2

Homework Equations

Motion equations used
s = ut + 0.5at^2
v^2 = u^2 +2as

Quadratic equation
x = (-b +/- sqrt( b^2 - 4ac))/2a

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I started with, and rearranged to put into the quadratic formula.
12.5 = 4.5t + 0.5(10)t^2
therefore:
5t^2 + 4.5t - 12.5 = 0

Where:
a = 5
b = 4.5
c = 12.5

The answer I get is 1.194 seconds
The answer in the book says exactly half that at 0.597 seconds.

Then for part two:
v^2 = u^2 + 2as
seemed the right one.

and I consistently get 16.439m/s
yet the answer in the book says 23.9m/s

I would be grateful for any input on this.

Kind Regards

Rob K

Physics news on Phys.org
Rob K: Both of your answers currently appear to be correct, and the book appears to be wrong.

By the way, always leave a space between a numeric value and its following unit symbol. E.g., 12.5 m, not 12.5m. See the international standard for writing units (ISO 31-0).

Thank you very much indeed for verifying this for me, I am suspecting there are a few errors, though as it is the 11th edition, I thought they might have been ironed out by now.

Happy New Year

Rob K

Related to Kinematics of a particle motion equations problem

1. What is kinematics of a particle motion?

Kinematics of a particle motion is a branch of physics that studies the motion of a single particle or object without considering the causes of its motion.

2. What are the basic equations used in kinematics of a particle motion?

The basic equations used in kinematics of a particle motion are the equations of motion (position, velocity, and acceleration) and the equations of kinematic quantities (displacement, initial velocity, final velocity, acceleration, and time).

3. How do you solve a kinematics equation problem?

To solve a kinematics equation problem, you need to identify the given values for the kinematic quantities and plug them into the appropriate equation. Then, solve for the unknown quantity using algebraic manipulations.

4. What are the units used in kinematics of a particle motion?

The units used in kinematics of a particle motion are meters for displacement, meters per second for velocity, meters per second squared for acceleration, and seconds for time.

5. What are some real-life applications of kinematics of a particle motion?

Kinematics of a particle motion has many real-life applications, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile, analyzing the motion of vehicles and airplanes, and studying the movement of celestial bodies in space.