Kinematics of a four bar linkage system

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the representation of rotation in a three-dimensional Euclidean space using the axis-angle method. The first question is about the use of the unit vector k in multiplying the magnitude of a rotation vector instead of i or j. The second question asks if the order of the letters in the subscript of the vector matters in representing rotation. The expert summarizer explains that the axis-angle representation uses a unit vector e and an angle θ to describe the rotation, with scalar multiplication being used to define the direction of the vector.
influx

Homework Statement

c0ba1b.png

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I have 2 (basic) questions about this system:

1) The question says that ωAB = ωABk, I understand that bold indicates vectors whilst the plain text indicates a magnitude so ωAB (magnitude) multiplied by k (direction vector) gives you the vector ωAB. However, why do we multiply the magnitude by k (to yield the vector ωAB) as opposed to multiplying by i or j? I'm trying to picture this in my head but struggling to.

2) Am I correct in saying that ωAB = ωBA? That is, does the order of the letters in the subscript of the vector matter? Does this matter for magnitudes (e.g. ωAB = ωBA), vectors^ or both/neither?

Physics news on Phys.org
This isn't my subject really so I'm not the best person to reply but since you haven't had one...

I believe this is just another way to represent rotation called the Axis–angle representation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis–angle_representation

In mathematics, the axis–angle representation of a rotation parameterizes a rotation in a three-dimensional Euclidean space by three quantities, a unit vector e indicating the direction of an axis of rotation, and an angle θ describing the magnitude of the rotation about the axis. Only two numbers, not three, are needed to define the direction of the unit vector e because its magnitude is constrained. The angle θ scalar multiplied by the unit vector e is the axis-angle vector

θ = θe
and it's scalar multiplication not ordinary or vector multiplication..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalar_multiplication

In an intuitive geometrical context, scalar multiplication of a real Euclidean vector by a positive real number multiplies the magnitude of the vector without changing its direction..

Last edited:

Related to Kinematics of a four bar linkage system

1. What is a four bar linkage system?

A four bar linkage system is a type of mechanical system made up of four rigid links connected by four joints. It is used to transmit motion and force between different parts of a machine.

2. What is the purpose of studying kinematics of a four bar linkage system?

The purpose of studying kinematics of a four bar linkage system is to understand the motion and behavior of the system. This includes analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of the links, as well as predicting the output motion and force based on the input motion and force.

3. What are the different types of four bar linkage systems?

There are three main types of four bar linkage systems: crank-rocker, double-rocker, and double-crank. These types differ in the location and arrangement of the four links and joints, leading to different motion and force characteristics.

4. How is the motion of a four bar linkage system determined?

The motion of a four bar linkage system can be determined using the principles of kinematics, which involve analyzing the geometry and velocities of the links. The motion can also be simulated using computer software or physical models.

5. What are some real-life applications of four bar linkage systems?

Four bar linkage systems are commonly used in various machines and mechanisms, such as car suspension systems, windshield wipers, and robotic arms. They are also used in engineering and design to create complex motions and mechanisms for different purposes.