Kinematics-motion in a straight line

In summary, using the given kinematics equations, the velocity of the pot at the top of the window was calculated to be 1.09m/s. Using this velocity and equation 2, the distance traveled by the pot after passing the window was found to be 0.0606m. However, there may be an error with the units used as a mix of feet and meters could affect the final solution.
Mr. Poole

Homework Statement

A dog sees a flowerpot sail up and then back past a window 5.0ft (1.77m) high. If the total time the pot is in sight is 1s, find the height above the top of the window to which the pot rises.

Homework Equations

standard set of kinematics equations are given;

V=Vo+at
V^2=Vo^2+2a(X1-X0)
X=Xo+Vot+(1/2)at^2
X=(1/2)(Vo+V)t
X=Vt-(1/2)at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the last equation given above find the velocity at the top of the window

1.77=V(0.5)-(0.5)(-9.8)(0.5^2) solves for
V=1.09m/s

using equation 2 to calculate the distance traveled by the pot after passing the window

0^2=(1.09^2)+(2)(-9.8)(X) solves for
X=0.0606m

The answer is 1.91cm. I've tried other ways too, but I can't seem to come up with the solution. Please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Carefully look at your units. You're mixing feet and meters when you eventually plug your numbers in.

I went through carefully but I can't find any error with my units, I don't see how this would be possible anyways as I never use any data given in feet, only meters.

Related to Kinematics-motion in a straight line

What is kinematics-motion in a straight line?

Kinematics-motion in a straight line is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion of objects in a straight line, without taking into account the causes of motion.

What are the basic principles of kinematics-motion in a straight line?

The basic principles of kinematics-motion in a straight line include displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. These quantities are used to describe the motion of an object in a straight line.

How is displacement different from distance?

Displacement is the shortest distance between the initial and final positions of an object, while distance is the total length traveled by the object.

What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time.

How is acceleration related to velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. It is a measure of how quickly an object's velocity is changing.