Kinematics long jumper problem

• Thread starter kmikias
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, to find the time in the air for a long jumper who takes off at a 20 degree angle and reaches a maximum height of 0.55 m, the formula Y= vt + 1/2gt^2 can be used. By finding the time it takes for the jumper to reach the maximum height and doubling it, the total time in the air can be determined. To find the forward component of her velocity, the formulas Vx = V*Cosθ and Vy = V*Sinθ can be used. And finally, to find the distance she jumps, the formula X = Vx * t can be used. These calculations can be made with only one given angle.
kmikias
Hi ...I came up another question again i guess you will help me out .Here is the question

1. A long jumper takes off at an angle of 20 degree with the horizontal and reaches a maximum height of 0.55 m at mid-flight.
- how long is she in the air?
- what is the forward component of her velocity?
- how far does she jump?

Here is what i try.

A. how long is she in the air.
i use the formula Y= vt + 1/2gt^2
which is -0.55 = 1/2 * -9.8 t^
so t= 0.335 sec and finaly i multiplay 0.335 * 2 = 0.67 sec.
B. here is where i stop how can i find her velocity without knowing the horizontal distance.

i know the formula X = vt

thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

kmikias said:
Hi ...I came up another question again i guess you will help me out .Here is the question

1. A long jumper takes off at an angle of 20 degree with the horizontal and reaches a maximum height of 0.55 m at mid-flight.
- how long is she in the air?
- what is the forward component of her velocity?
- how far does she jump?

Here is what i try.

A. how long is she in the air.
i use the formula Y= vt + 1/2gt^2
which is -0.55 = 1/2 * -9.8 t^
so t= 0.335 sec and finaly i multiplay 0.335 * 2 = 0.67 sec.
B. here is where i stop how can i find her velocity without knowing the horizontal distance.

i know the formula X = vt

thank you.

Think about what the horizontal and vertical components are of her initial velocity.
(Hint: They give you an angle.)

Horizontal velocity has nothing to slow it so you are right that distance will be Vx * t.
Vertical distance is given so you know the total time from doubling how long it would take for her to fall. And that you know as = 1/2 g*t2

yes i did but i still didn't get that because how can i find with only one given angle

kmikias said:
yes i did but i still didn't get that because how can i find with only one given angle

That's how you solve the problem.

Vy = V*Sinθ is the Y component of the initial velocity.
Vx = V*Cosθ is the horizontal component.

Related to Kinematics long jumper problem

1. What is the definition of kinematics in relation to long jumpers?

Kinematics is the study of motion, specifically the movement of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. In long jumping, kinematics refers to the analysis of the jumper's body movements and trajectory during the jump.

2. What factors influence the distance a long jumper can jump?

The distance a long jumper can jump is influenced by factors such as the speed and angle of take-off, the amount of force applied during the jump, the body position and technique of the jumper, and the air resistance.

3. How is the take-off angle calculated in the kinematics of long jumping?

The take-off angle is calculated using trigonometry, specifically the angle of elevation. This is done by measuring the horizontal distance and vertical height achieved by the jumper during the take-off phase.

4. What is the relationship between the speed of the jumper and the distance they can jump?

The speed of the jumper is directly related to the distance they can jump. The faster the jumper is able to run and the more force they can apply during take-off, the greater their speed will be, resulting in a longer jump.

5. How does air resistance affect the kinematics of long jumping?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can significantly affect the distance a long jumper can jump. It acts as a force that opposes the motion of the jumper, slowing them down and reducing the overall distance of the jump. To minimize the effects of air resistance, long jumpers often use specific techniques and clothing to increase aerodynamics.